Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im looking to put a snow plow and winch on my KFX 700, i found this site Kawasaki Atv Snow plows Cyclecountry
I just wanted to get some firsthand experience, has anyone done this before?

will the plow kits from other Kawi quads fit the kfx?

thanks,

-Tony

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
I guess with enough work you could make just about anything work

I have seen many winches on KFX 700's but no plows

·
Registered
209 Posts
I live in Youngstown Ohio and Yes you can plow with the 700's. I took a tractor plow and made custom brackets for my KFX. I went to Harbor freight and bought a $50.00 winch and had a good ol time plowing. It did OK with the Holeshots but when i changed to the 24" Bearclaws it made a world of difference. I just recently went to the 25" Bearclaws and cant wait to see how it goes in the winter. I will say that if you let it get too deep it is a lil hard (with the 2 wheel drive) but if you stay on top of it you shouldnt have too much of a problem. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Someone had a plow on their machine alrdy.. The push tubes and plow are the same for all the machines. Its the mounting plate that changes between machines.. CycleCounty I think is the only place I've seen that had the mounting plate for the kfx700.. I think it was that company you linked to. I didn't click on it yet..

Got my winch mount from there. That is easy enough to mount up. Won't work with an aftermarket bumper without some modifications.

You might want to go with the smaller plow blades though, or a V blade.. having only 2wd drive will make it harder to push heavy wet snow, or a lot of snow buildup. But if you hit the driveway early as the snow is coming down and stay on it, it shouldn't be to big of an issue.

I wouldn't use a winch for lifting/lowering the blade. Or if you do, get that short plow rope some places sell. Its a lot of work on the winch and people end up messing up the cables because of the angle. I think they sell a lifter just for the plow.. that would be worth looking into.

I'd say put chains on the tires, but you don't want to tear up your concrete/walkways or whatever your plowing I guess.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I plowed with my wife's for a few years and it worked good. I ran ice screws in the tires, I even put screws in the fronts to help with steering. They make a snow plow roller fairlead that has a bigger bottem roller so the line doesn't make such a sharp corner. I also used synthetic rope and had zero problems. The cable is a nightmare, kept breaking. If you keep your momentum up you'd be surprised how much snow it will push.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I plowed with my wife's for a few years and it worked good. I ran ice screws in the tires, I even put screws in the fronts to help with steering. They make a snow plow roller fairlead that has a bigger bottem roller so the line doesn't make such a sharp corner. I also used synthetic rope and had zero problems. The cable is a nightmare, kept breaking. If you keep your momentum up you'd be surprised how much snow it will push.

can you still wheelie with the plow on it?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I have the moose warn winch that bolts on the plow and 5 years in no problems except 1 cable.
I feel this the way to go on lifting ...use a pulley for double lift capacity at the attach point and you will be extremly pleased with this set up
I made my own push tubes and used a 48" Deere garden tractor mold board and pivot ...very heavy and works flawless, this is on a kvf however and stay lighter with kfx. I can send pics thru personal email

·
Registered
2,291 Posts

Don't know, never tried it.;):eek:

·
Registered
445 Posts

Don't know, never tried it.;):eek:

:eek: you ain't livin!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plow for my kfx

I just finished buidling mine this week. I have about $65 in metal and welding wire, and $69.99 for the winch.

I didn't have a sheet metal roller so I just braced it into my work bench and slowly bend it by hand, it's only 14 gauge sheet metal so it's not super thick but it's re-inforced well. I used a sawzall to cut out the rounded braces to hold the sheet metal firm. other than that I just looked at a couple of store bought designs and just hacked away.

I have about 100 lbs of barbell weight I put on the rear grab bar for extra weight in the back and it makes a HUGE difference as well as the tire chains.

kfxplow01 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (front view)
kfxplow02 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (mount view)
kfxplow03 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (tire chains)

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey guys can you all give me a little more info on how u mounted the blade to the quad, as i am very interested in this idea cause it takes forever to do my driveway with the snow blower and my huge long ass sidewalks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just finished installing a low on my wife's stock 700.
Bought a winch from Harbor Freight $59.99, bought a plow and push tube off craigslist for $50.00. Fabricated a winch mount bracket with some left over steel I had laying around and it works great so far. *used it to move around some dirt and landscaping lava rocks*
The entire install took a day and I only removed the front black piece of plastic.

I need to get some pics.

I noticed that I had to drop the rear tire pressure really low to get traction on wet grass (after tearing up a little grass -- hehe).

What does everyone use for tire chains? Or should I put some KOLD KUTTER screws in the tires? I have a several hundred if not thousand left over from various tires from the banshee's.

Also, will I need weight in the rear? Can I just add some barbell weights to the rear grab bar? How much weight? I'm 6'1" 205#

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
I've plowed a LOT of snow over the 14 years, and have never had to use chains or ice studs. 50lbs on the rear rack would help to level it up when the plow is on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've plowed a LOT of snow over the 14 years, and have never had to use chains or ice studs. 50lbs on the rear rack would help to level it up when the plow is on.

you probably get a smidgen (LOL) more snow than I do in Michigan.
I bought some tire chains off Ebay for $15.00 shipped, didn't fit, so I put 2 chains on the one rear tire and ordered another set of chains to put on the other tire. I figure you can't have enough traction when pushing snow.

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
Sorry; my mistake; I see you are using a VForce to plow. I use a 4x4.
Gear up something on the rear so you can add LOTS of weight. The problem won't be pushing the snow; the problem will be backing up out of the snowbanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts