Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled on some posts and fell down the rabbit hole on several forums regarding the "spark plug cap mod" I Mystified at the claimed improvements in starting and running I must say. I gotta ask this though as every post said DO NOT run resistor plugs with resistor caps or wires. That being said, if Kawi calls for CR7E plugs, which are resistor, then why would they use resistor caps or wires as well which the mod calls to eliminate the resistor caps and go automotive non res type?
Enlighten me.

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
I'll have to do more research because as far as I know, one only uses one.. or the other. If they use a resistant wire it's for sound suppression. From my point of view, as tempting as it may be to maybe get a .."bolder".. spark from deleting resistance, the drawbacks may be a very different pulse or discharge profile for the coil and as such shortened plug life. It may also cause the coil to run abnormally warm as well shortening it's overall life. Just guessing though. For sure radio or phone signal..and maybe some pacemakers may be effected by the higher transmission levels.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The points you make are something by some of the posters. Shorter plug live,by how much who knows, and a hotter coil and the possibility of damage to your CDI or other electronics. I did not read that anybody suffered damaged to the coils of cdi ect but it seems hardly the risk at the cost of replacements. Im still curious to what happens just because, but the forums were from Moto Guzzi to drag cars. Lots of theories and speculation but no absolute proof. Guess Its time to get off my duffer and ohm my prairie's plug wires. Hard to motivate when its 3 degrees in the barn. o_O

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
Hard to motivate when its 3 degrees in the barn. o_O
Dang!...that cold out there already? Well you are a lot higher then I am. Just noticed when putting the blower away a split outter CV boot on my Z slinging grease. Just happened so I'll be replacing both boots...something I really didn't want to have to do but..my shop is heated so won't be too bad. I'm also gearing-up to chop the cage too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
well did it to a few machines
1 of them 12 years ago.
still have that machine, runs great
the color of the spark with the resistor i the boot was yellow.
the color with the boot mod was blue.
we never have burned a spark plug electrode.
it also helped starting in cold weather.
we used
MSD 3301: Silicone Straight Boots & Terminals

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have the spark plug boot mod on my 05 750, and have not had any issues other than replacing the plug connector on the end of the wires. If I remember correctly that the oem boot resistor is 5k ohms and the spark plug is 5k ohms as well.
You take out the boot resistor alone, and your spark will be much better.
And here we are - Still normal looking.

Attachments

Reactions: NMKAWIERIDER
1 - 6 of 6 Posts