Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the time and effort?

Do you use a dremel with a sanding drum to clean things up?

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Any time you can smoothout the transition, it is going to help. At high velocity, matching up the runners will prevent turbulance. Now whether that results in seat of the pant feel, it's hard to say. But it definately can't hurt.:D

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never ground polyurethane before. I imagine it roughs up the surface vs. the smooth original popped straight out of the mold.

Best method to remove material? Dremel? Thats all I can think of?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

Smoothing transitions huh :huh:. You do know that Camo is soooo sold on this practice that he even smooths and polishes his transitions on the outside of his quad, to gain speed :hehe:. Right Terry?

Well that and of course this
.....................................................................................
Sorry Terry & Tom :wub:

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Remember, you do have a aluminum flange built in.

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remember, you do have a aluminum flange built in.
Is that a no no to grind? These buggers were expensive. Dont want to goof it up.

I did notice the polyurethane thickness inside the flange is uneven. Not much material to remove on the one side.

I will just have to bolt up and find out.

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts
It makes it easier to port match..

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
turbulence is bad on the exhaust side, but has proven useful on the intake side up until it reduces the amount of fuel needed for the motor. I doubt in this case that it would be of much help. In Metal and Camo's case where they are packing in the A/F, it may pay off. With the exception of that, I would try to maintain the integrity of the manifold. JMHO

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I humbly diagree badhear....at least with your choice of example.
AFAIK both Metal and Camo run forced induction fuel delivery systems.
Forced Induction works via pressure...a smooth transition is LESS important when you introduce pressure.
Natural Aspiration on the other hand, DEPENDS on a smooth transition because the vacuum created by the piston is the only thing drawing in air/fuel.
If an obstruction is hindering that vacuum from affecting the carb you are going to see a greater performance drop than a system that relies on pressure from a blower or turbo to deliver the air/fuel into the combustion chamber.
This is all realtive however as each setup is as different as a snowflake.
Bottom line...IMO portmatching IS a good idea no-matter N/A or F/I...
I just think you'll get more gain from a N/A application.

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
I humbly diagree badhear....at least with your choice of example.
AFAIK both Metal and Camo run forced induction fuel delivery systems.
Forced Induction works via pressure...a smooth transition is LESS important when you introduce pressure.
Natural Aspiration on the other hand, DEPENDS on a smooth transition because the vacuum created by the piston is the only thing drawing in air/fuel.
If an obstruction is hindering that vacuum from affecting the carb you are going to see a greater performance drop than a system that relies on pressure from a blower or turbo to deliver the air/fuel into the combustion chamber.
This is all realtive however as each setup is as different as a snowflake.
Bottom line...IMO portmatching IS a good idea no-matter N/A or F/I...
I just think you'll get more gain from a N/A application.
The problem with your theory is that the intake is smaller than the head, therefore no ridge, If the intake restricted neccessary flow, we would be on the same page. If the intake runner is bigger than necessary then you lose velocity. Turbulence to mix the fuel will create a more even burn. When you are forcing it in (blower, supercharger) volume becomes more of an issue. Right or wrong, in Enigma's application, that port work would unlikey result in 1/10th of a hp on the dyno.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
In light of that I retract my disagreement.....I've never seen UPP's I thought there was a ridge.
I agree with badhear now.
Ed3

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
The problem with your theory is that the intake is smaller than the head, therefore no ridge, If the intake restricted neccessary flow, we would be on the same page. If the intake runner is bigger than necessary then you lose velocity. Turbulence to mix the fuel will create a more even burn. When you are forcing it in (blower, supercharger) volume becomes more of an issue. Right or wrong, in Enigma's application, that port work would unlikey result in 1/10th of a hp on the dyno.
Actually Badhear GarDog is right.:p With a forced induction situation, the air fuel mix is forced in under presure and therefore the need for smooth transitions aren't as important. There is constant presure.

The kind of turbulance you are talking about is a roughness in the intake track that helps atomize fuel. That is entirely different than turbulance caused by an incease or decrease in intake size at some piont in the intake runner (Both Manifold & head).

This isn't a NEW idea. Engine builders have been doing this for years for a reason.:D

The prediction on a HP increase is probably close or maybe a little low. But hey, when races are won and lost by inches, any little bit helps.:cool:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But hey, when races are won and lost by inches, any little bit helps.:cool:
I gave up on winning against you guys. I just want to be able to keep it kinda close. That giggle juice scares me.

Nothing better than a big ol sasquatch lining up against a 150 lb guy on a 450 and blowin there doors off.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Let me know what you think of it i really want to get one if $$ ever allows did you ever get your carbs figured out??

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It will be a brand new test & tune on this setup. I guess I will throw my log book in the trash. Not familiar so I will be starting from scratch. I will definitely want a meter on this.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts

Smoothing transitions huh :huh:. You do know that Camo is soooo sold on this practice that he even smooths and polishes his transitions on the outside of his quad, to gain speed :hehe:. Right Terry?
I polish the plastics... good for 3 mph. :hehe:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts