Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As our displacement gets larger and we produce more heat from this high performance engines could we possibly benefit from a porting and polishing of the water jackets.

I noticed that when I took my cylinders out this week how rough my water jackets are.

Of course the openings are small so it would need to be done pre-sleeving.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To what coefficient?

More than a faster flow of cooler coolant?

Just thinkin out loud. I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Why did you take your cylinders off speed? Whats up with it now?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's goin to an 820 or 840 w/some bigger carbs. An xmas present to myself.

I am getting her all setup for 1/8th mile asphalt.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Porous metal should actually dispell heat better than polished metal.

agreed, although not by much the porous metal would have more surface area to dispel heat. i would think it would be the same principle as an air-cooled engine where the "fins" give more area to dissipate heat.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
To what coefficient?

More than a faster flow of cooler coolant?

Just thinkin out loud. I doubt it would be worth the trouble.
I don't think (could be wrong) that polishing the water jackets would increase the speed of flow as I don't think that the water is restricted by it. If flow is equal the porous surface represents more surafce area.
2 cents.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
:lol: power [email protected]! you going 36 or 38mm carbs? Did you see the 36mm I have for sale?

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
My GOD, I actually agree 100% with Badhear........ This truly is the end of the world as we know it. :eek:

:p:lol:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:lol: power [email protected]! you going 36 or 38mm carbs? Did you see the 36mm I have for sale?
Yeah I checked it out, looks like a clean, sweet setup. I wasn't going to call dibs or anything until I sell my paddles. I've had a hard time selling. Sooner or later I will just have to break down and buy the carbs outright.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Porous metal should actually dispell heat better than polished metal.

agreed, although not by much the porous metal would have more surface area to dispel heat. i would think it would be the same principle as an air-cooled engine where the "fins" give more area to dissipate heat.
agree 100%

more area to dissipate heat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts