Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 prairie 300 that has a relatively new (6 months/very little ride time) comet 103 hpq primary clutch on it. I was replacing the belt so I decided to buy a clutch puller to make belt installation easier. I had the stock clutch puller, but it does not work for the comet clutch. So, I bought an EPI PCP-1, which I was told was the correct puller for the comet clutch.

Anyway, threaded puller in and tightened with a breaker bar until I couldn't tighten it anymore. The clutch did not pop off. I tried tapping with hammer. I tried heating with heat gun. I tried boiling water. Nothing worked. So, I decided to back out the puller bolt to try something else. I put a rod through clutch and started attempting to turn counter-clockwise to loosen puller bolt. The clutch cage ended up spinning off. That said, I needed to find another way to keep the crank from spinning so I rigged up a way to hold the recoil started pulley so I could back out puller bolt, but ended up breaking the key that hold the pulley on the crank shaft in the process and slightly boogering the end of the crank. I think it's okay but don't want to try that method again in fear that I might cause more damage. I even tried to start the engine and hit with an impact at the same time with no luck. Engine just overpowered impact.

Any ideas? I need a way to keep the crank from spinning so I can back puller bolt out. At this point, the only thing I can think of is to spot weld clutch cage to sand hope the bolt breaks free before the weld.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
220 Posts
remove the spark plug, and insert some clean rope (paracord is perfect) into the bore. as much as you can. been stopping pistons like this on tons of small engines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts