Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Prairie 360 4X4 that is having 4 wheel drive problems. My problems is that it is currently in 4wd but will not dis-engage. I removed the actuator and verified that it is working. I cleaned it up and greased it according to Mudinmyblood's website. Connected it to a charger and she spins. But it will not disengage. Anything i can do to get it to dis-engage? Or am i testing the actuator the wrong way? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
379 Posts
check the 2x4 4x4 switch

Check and make sure the 2x4 4x4 switch is good.

Anything flashing on the meter display?
Is the battery up?
(explain all you can)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
took the switch apart and all is good. nice and clean. no corrosion anywhere. Yes both my belt and 4wd light are flashing. I have ordered a new belt and waiting for it to come in to clear the check belt light. as for the 4wd light it flashes at about a 1 second interval. i am trying to locate my multimeter to start testing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ok

Ok.......... when you correct your belt problem and reset the belt light switch your 2x4 4x4 system should reset and be fine. They both work together with sensors...............

Is your belt bad?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at it and there appears to be cracks beyween the teeth or grooves. I have had it about 2 years and have hardly used it. I have cleaned the carb and rebuilt. Starts just fine and idles fine. Just no speed does about 15-20 mph. I am assuming due to belt and being in limp mode. Also noticed it takes a second or two to get going once i place i gear. Would like to get it running right and start using it more. Bought for daughter but she doesnt want it.

NIce flag as your avatar by the way!!! Don't Mess with TEXAS!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
ok

Yes ...replace the belt if its damaged in any way.

If the belt gets too loose or damaged it will trip the switch inside the cover and cause the limp mode which limits the engine rpms, won't shift in 4x4 etc..
If the belt is good you just need to adjust it if needed and reset the belt switch.

The 2x4 4x4 goes into error and flashes if you turn on the ign switch with the connections on the actuators unplugged.
So when you correct the belt prob you should be ready to ride.

I was up there a few years ago it was really pretty and it looked much like North East Texas with the rolling hills, trees, and such................

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, i have replaced the belt and reset the belt light switch. But it is still flashing the same. Plus my 4x4 still will not dis-engage. Plus now my belt is squealing and it takes a few seconds to get going in gear. Anything else i can do?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you mean the deflection? yes i did, right at around 1"

yes on the reset procedure

·
Registered
379 Posts
Service manual.........

Ok ....You may have a bad actuator or something......You need a service manual to know how to test everything with a test meter............
If you don't have a service manual then post a new thread for "help" in getting one for your machine.

Some of these guys will kick in and help with a pdf. file

This what my Brute manual says..........

Kawasaki Engine Brake Control and
Selectable 2WD/4WD System Malfunction:
Actuators failed
Speed sensor short or open
Forward/Reverse detecting sensor short or
open
Actuator controller failed
Controller 10A fuse blown
Battery disconnected

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes i have a service manual. And have been reading up on the led indicator flashes. Looks like i may need to break out the Multimeter and start checking wires. I know the KEBC actuator is working as i can hear it when i turn the ignition switch off and on. So i am thinking the 4wd actuator is bad. Let me ask you this. The collar that is on the front actuator. Should it spin freely or be in a stationary position. I know when i tested it the other day. The shaft would spin when connected to power and the collar i could hold it in place. I would think that it would be tight to be able to move it from 2wd to 4wd.

·
Registered
379 Posts
actuator

Ok.........great on having the manual...........

If my memory serves me right I think the 2x4 4x4 actuator and the engine brake actuator on the converter cover are the same unit.........so you can pull the one on the C cover and compare the two........you could even install them reversed to see if it kicked it out of 4x4.........then you will know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i know the 4x4 actuator has the collar on it to engage/disengage the 4x4 and the kebc actuator doesn't. plus the 4x4 actuator has an inlet for the breather hose and the kebc doesn't. i will check all my wiring and controller first and then try and swap and put the collar on the kebc actuator as a last resort.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i have been working on this for the last few days. And i finally got the 4 wheel drive to work as it should. Man do i fell dumb on this one. After taking all the front plastic off and cleaning things up. Finished doing my carb rebuild. I decided i was going to buy some dielectric grease for all my connections and go over every single connections. WEll when i got to my 4wheel actuator i look inside the connector and notice one of the 5 pins is bent back. Well i get a small screwdriver and straighten it out, put some grease on it. I do my belt reset and BAM! What do you 4 wheel drive works like a champ. I did notice that i have a crack on my actuator case. But that can be fixed. Still have problems with my belt light being on. I am going to make a tool to get my secondary clutch off and tighten up the belt to see if that helps. Squeals and takes a few seconds for it to get going in motion. But at least one problem down.

·
Registered
379 Posts
One down...........

Did you set the belt light switch to the "ON" position when you put on the coverter cover?

And be careful not to trip it when installing the cover.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah she is in the on postion. Does that part ever go bad? I am going to test the LED indicators next. Maybe that could be bad. She runs fine now. Getting all my speed and everything.

·
Registered
379 Posts
switch......

Yes.......... the switches do go bad.........they get really dirty too from the belt dust. Just do the the test procedure in your manual under the periodic maintenance section. Maybe you can narrow it down more.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i haven't been around lately to be able to work on this much. Being a Captain of a commercial fishing boat i am out at sea a bit. But i finally got back this past weekend and decided i was going to get this fixed.

I did some testing with the voltmeter before i left. When i got back i continued where i left off. I tested everything per the service manual for the codes i was getting. Everything was testing good. I think i know this thing inside out now. Everything was pinpointing towards my LED indicator. So i went ahead and ordered another one. Got one off ebay fairly cheap and it came with a warranty. Guaranteed to work or your money back. So i bought it. Once i was done testing everything and double checking the switch inside cover was in the on position and verified deflection. I proceeded to do the belt reset. And still nothing. So i disconnected the old LED lights and plugged in the new one. And BAM the Check Belt light was off. I took it for a tes drive and verified the 4WD light worked and it did. Drove it for about 30 minutes to make sure the check belt light wouldn't come back on. And it didn't. So i think i have this problem fixed. Now on to the next problem. I have alittle grinding when i shift gears and rear brake not working. Time to get these fixed.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
fishing?

Thats great on getting it fixed..........Try idling the engine down for the grinding problem when you shift and make sure you are stopped completely when you shift.

On the rear brake you may need to adjust (take up the slack in cable). I think there are thumb nuts at the rear axle you can tighten and adjust the hand and foot brake..........your manual should show everything on adjusting and checking the brakes...........

Hows the fishing?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fishing is actually good. Thanks for asking.

I tried to adjust the brake with the wingnuts on the back. I think they are to tight now. I feel it dragging when in gear. Where as before i would stick it in gear and it would go. Maybe be to tight now. However when i press the brake handle or step on the foot brake doesn't stop it very good. Going to check if the cables are stretched out. Also adjusted the idle and much better on the grinding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts