Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a lot of posts on here about limp mode from the belt sensor getting tripped and how to reset, but my issue is a little different than what I've seen so far. When I reset the machine runs as it should than a few minutes into running the belt little comes on again. Figuring it was truly a loose belt, I take the cover off again and the sensor is not tripped. I reset with the cover off and again it runs great for a few minutes. Is there another sensor linked to the belt light I should be looking at?

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
Read a lot of posts on here about limp mode from the belt sensor getting tripped and how to reset, but my issue is a little different than what I've seen so far. When I reset the machine runs as it should than a few minutes into running the belt little comes on again. Figuring it was truly a loose belt, I take the cover off again and the sensor is not tripped. I reset with the cover off and again it runs great for a few minutes. Is there another sensor linked to the belt light I should be looking at?
It's not uncommon for the switch itself to go bad..or the connector to corrode. All it takes is for that circuit to break for a millisecond and it's in limp mode. Try this- make a jumper for the connector's harness side. Do the normal reset. Then with the key off, disconnect the switch and install that jumper. Tape it off well and try it. If it doesn't go into limp mode, then it's the switch. Finding one won't be easy and you might want to just make it a permanent jumper. If it trips again, its farther up. Check the pins on the CDI and the actuator controller for a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I bypassed the belt sensor and I thought I had. Ran much longer without any problems, but eventually it tripped again. Started tracing wires and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Another thing, the battery in it is junk and has been for a while, I've been pull starting it. When I had my jump box on it, it barely cranks, the jump box is fully charged so I'm wondering if there is any relation between the two problems.

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
Ok, so I bypassed the belt sensor and I thought I had. Ran much longer without any problems, but eventually it tripped again. Started tracing wires and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Another thing, the battery in it is junk and has been for a while, I've been pull starting it. When I had my jump box on it, it barely cranks, the jump box is fully charged so I'm wondering if there is any relation between the two problems.
Yeah..put a battery in it...... #1-Always fix anything you know is wrong first. Having a proper battery and charging system is always the first step in correcting electrical problems. It may well be the problem in the first place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts