Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i have a question, my 2003 prairie 360 seems to have developed a light metalic ticking sound at idle once the engine is warm. I adjusted the valves and just put a new exhaust gasket on the pipe since the old one was completely gone. When the motor is cold it doesn't seem to make the sound only when the motor is warmed up. It starts up and runs just fine and when i give it gas I can not really hear any loud ticking sounds, maybe a very faint one at best if I really listen. Oil is changed and at the full line. Is this something to worry about or should I just run it? I had a couple friends just tell me its a atv they all make valve sounds and to just run it but I don't want to damage anything and this is my first atv so i dont know much. Any input would be appreciated, I can try to do a video to maybe. The tapping is around the same level of the light thunking the primary clutch makes at idle. The primary and belt are brand new from the previous owner, probably less than 50 miles on them.

Also since i bought it i cant seem to get the front locking diff to work when I have the atv in the air. The little lever that is attached to the differential basically bottoms out to where the cable attaches to the bracket and I thought about turning the lever assembly that is attached to the shaft that goes into the differential a bit to get more leverage but I see a dot on the shaft and a dot on the lever that are lined up and don't want to mess anything up. Let me know if you guys think I can get it working with some adjustments or if its just wore out. THe previous owner didn't have oil in the front diff, it kinda smelled like the lower unit grease in a boat when I drained it. Put atv 10w-40 in it now. Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Might have fried the discs in the front diff with no oil in there. On a 750, there is an adjustment on the diff lock cable up under the plastic on the dash cover. Not sure on the 360 though. I’d try that first and see if that helps. Not sure about the ticking sound as it is hard to diagnose without being there to hear it. All these engines make a bit of ticking sounds as the rockers have clearance to control noises like that and the clearances are critical when it comes to performance and noise. Too loose, really hard to start and runs like crap (and ticks really bad). Too tight, runs like crap as valves aren’t closing properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts