Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bought my first atv, a project 2003 prairie 360. The motor seems to be strong but it has a few issues. It starts but you need to used the choke and for a long time to keep it from snubbing out. It spits and sputters and pops anytime going over around 5 mph and also the belt light is flashing, but yet it seems to go in 4wd? also when its idling it has a pop/misfire everyone once and while spiratically? I have not dove into it yet but im planning on rebuilding the carb as i guess it sat a long time. Anything else you guys think i should look at to get the limp mode light off and get it running normal? They guy said he tried to reset the belt light with the internet process but was unsuccessful. I was thinking of washing the machine and just tearing it down to the frame and start from there? Also the battery seems strong but looks like a smaller than normal one with the space where it sits could this have something to do with it?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought my first atv, a 2006 prairie 360. All I’ve done so far is change the oil and front/rear differential fluids and replace the battery. The battery that was in it had plenty of room and I bought the same size. It’s only been a few weeks but it hasn’t given me any problems. I had to reset the belt light because of an issue with the old battery. I followed a YouTube video and it worked. I’d give it a try, it only takes a few minutes. The guy may not have done it right. I also recommend Rocky Mountain ATV if you need to order any parts. I bought a new fuel gauge for mine and it was a reasonable price and fast shipping. The belts were cheaper than other sites I looked at but haven’t done that project yet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
How long has this bike been sitting? I'm thinking quite some time. I'm assuming the 360 has the same belt trip switch located in the belt housing cover that the 650 did, so unless you remove that cover, see if the switch is tripped, find out the reason the switch is tripped (if it is), you won't be able to do the reset. Once you get your limp mode problem figured out, then I would do a complete rebuild of the carbs, check your carb boots, change the oil and filter, drain and refill the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter (I have no idea how the fuel is filtered on a 360), clean and reoil the air filter, check your plug and plug wire, and then see if it will run properly. Once you get it running right, then you need to change your diff oils, check your cv joint boots, and lube any pivot points and your cables.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts