Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys back again, I took my Kawasaki prairie 400 4x4 (1998) out for a ride yesterday and I noticed when I got back that there was a lot of oil in the air filter box, to the point that the lid of the air box had oil on it. Also my Atv doesn’t go past 20 something mph. What’s can this be?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Oil in the airbox comes from the crankcase vent line. If there's oil coming up out of it, it means it's been upside down, doing wheelies, or had pressure in the case. You get pressure in the case from piston ring blow by, or from overfilling the oil.

Did it just start going slow, or did you mean that you never go fast with it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I bought it’s never passed 20 something mph, idk why and now this happen

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I'm not sure if the 400's have the same limp mode system as the 650 and 700, but that would limit it's speed if it does. Pray it's that and not a completely shot cylinder.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just searched up and the 400s don’t have limp mode. You think the cylinder has to do with the oil in the air box?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Pull the spark plug and see what it looks like.
If it looks bad, run a compression test.

Pull the belt cover and see if the belt is loose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the belt it’s does fine in neutral rev up perfectly but when in gear the front clutch only goes in a little bit not as much as in neutral

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I just searched up and the 400s don’t have limp mode. You think the cylinder has to do with the oil in the air box?
Like I said, if blow-by is getting past the rings, it will pressurize the case. This pushes oil into the airbox.
Blowby occurs because the rings are not sealing off against the cylinder wall.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
If that’s the case I need to replace the rings? Or other stuff as well
Pretty hard to get that kind of blow-by without it showing up on the spark plug. Run a compression test anyway.

The primary clutch isn't going in under throttle in gear?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty hard to get that kind of blow-by without it showing up on the spark plug. Run a compression test anyway.

The primary clutch isn't going in under throttle in gear?

this is what the spark plug looks like when I took it out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts