Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 2000 prairie 400, that will only run about 10 mph in hi or low.
the motor is running great and seams like it wont come out of first gear, also i have to hit the gas a couple of times before it will start to move.
i pulled the belt cover off to see if the belt was slipping and its not.
so in nutrile with the cover off i started it and gave it some gas, and the belt will run up the drive pully like its supposed to i assume. so i jacked up the rear tires, put it in gear and did the same thing. again the belt runs up the drive pully as it narrows when the speed increases. i dont know how much play is supposed to be in the belt or if it is worn.
so any advise on this issue would be much appriciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So- In high or low range, you get to about 10 mph, and you're on the rev limiter?

look at the primary clutch sheave- is there a "dent" worn in it? it should bevel very smoothly- sometimes they get worn in a spot, and it becomes hard for the belt to jump the worn spot. same for the secondary. easier in neutral because its a no-load situation. something to consider...

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
primary cluch sheave

yes yhere is a "dent" worn in it, more like a slight grove like what you'd find on a brake rotor that needs turned. the fixed sheave and the movable sheave both have this groove in them, the groove is about a half inch from the bottom to about a quarter inch from the top of the sheave but the belt will freeley run from the bottom to the top of the sheave with no problem in nueatral or in drive it does'nt seem to have any problem 'jumping' the worn spot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so how much slack should the belt have in it. do the belts get streached out? i don't know how old the belt is, also does any body know what with the belt is supposed to be, mine measures 1.18 inches wide.

·
Super Moderator
12,617 Posts
A worn out belt with the wrong tension will not cause the problems you are describing.
Does the engine sound like it's over-revving?
You said that the primary clutch was closing together on the belt, but is the secondary clutch opening at the same time? It won't "shift" if it's not. Even if the clutches move while on jacks, they may not move under a load if they are seizing up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oops sorry wrong answer, i did'nt notice it before but yes the secondary cluch is opening up when the primary cluch is closing on the belt. what else could be causing this loss of speed. no i dont think that the engine is over reving,nor is it sputtering it runs fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts