Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Prairie 400 4x4, 2001 Prairie 400 4x4, 2008 Brute Force 650 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Prairie 400 4x4. It has 27 inch tires on it and spacers on the rear wheels. I'm a big guy and yesterday I put a bag of corn on the rear rack and the tires hit the fender sometimes on the outer edge behind the foot rest. If I have a kid on with me sometimes depending on the trail the rear tire will rub exhaust. Would a lift kit help stop the fender rubbing or do I need to put a smaller tire on it. I just got this quad and it was like this when I bought it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I dont know about a lift kit. I would guess it would help But not sure how much.

If the wheels are stock as well as the tire width, maybe removing the spacers would bring the tires in enough to create more clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same issue on my 97 Prairie 400 with the new tires I just got. I figured out that my rear shock is done and the service manual says for shock replacement to remove fenders and things like that. I have done a little bit of looking and I am wondering if I can remove the air filter housing and thus get to the top bolt of the shock, with the bottom bolt on the shock being very easy to get to. Do you know if this is possible? Does anybody have any tricks to share?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am having the same issue on my 97 Prairie 400 with the new tires I just got. I figured out that my rear shock is done and the service manual says for shock replacement to remove fenders and things like that. I have done a little bit of looking and I am wondering if I can remove the air filter housing and thus get to the top bolt of the shock, with the bottom bolt on the shock being very easy to get to. Do you know if this is possible? Does anybody have any tricks to share?
I have a parts atv that has the air box out of it. I will look this afternoon and see if you can get to the bolt. The rear fender is still on it. Also did are you buying an OEM shock or an aftermaket? I'm curious to which shock you buy because I may need to replace mine. I have 27" tires on mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a parts atv that has the air box out of it. I will look this afternoon and see if you can get to the bolt. The rear fender is still on it. Also did are you buying an OEM shock or an aftermaket? I'm curious to which shock you buy because I may need to replace mine. I have 27" tires on mine.
I attached 2 pictures. You can access the top bolt on shock with air box removed. See pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I attached 2 pictures. You can access the top bolt on shock with air box removed. See pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven’t purchased yet but am looking at a Progressive Suspension 512 series extended travel shock, it looks like it will offer the settings and travel I am looking for. Thanks!
Yep, it sure looks like it is accessible. Thanks for looking and the pics, thus is very helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts