Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Prairie 650 and my son was riding it last year and was going down a hill and came down hard and the engine started running rough like it was only hitting on one cylinder. It made the short trip home but was running like crap and I gave the machine a visual and everything looked normal. I tried running it a few days later and it died and would not start so I put it back in the shop, added gas stabilizer, and forgot about it until a couple of days ago.

I pulled engine covers off, put a new battery in and tried starting but no fuel to carbs so shot a little ether and she fired right up but then would quickly die. Added a little gas to carbs and again would fire right up but then die. I started pulling fuel lines off at carbs and they were bone dry...vacuum lines seem in good shape and were correctly (I think) hooked up.

When key was on I could not feel/hear the fuel pump running but wasn't 100% sure so I pulled the tank and wired battery directly to pump and could not feel/hear pump running.

I pulled the pump and wired it direct to battery and pump ran (very quietly)….put the pump in a mason jar of water and pump ran but would not move water. I cleaned the pump intake hole and tried again but pump would run but not move water.

I then hooked pump back up to wiring harness, turned on the key, and pump would run for about 5 seconds and then shut off....turn the key off and on and it would run for about 5 seconds and then shut off. Is shut off normal to protect the pump?

I've got a new pump on order from Amazon and meanwhile I'll clean tank while it is off...I'm hoping new pump will at least get my ATV running and then I can try and figure out any other issues.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
If the pump won't push water, it's probably bad.
There's a rollover switch under the seat as well; it cuts the spark off, but I don't think it shuts the pump off.
At the end of the day, the pump will run, but won't flow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the pump won't push water, it's probably bad.
There's a rollover switch under the seat as well; it cuts the spark off, but I don't think it shuts the pump off.
At the end of the day, the pump will run, but won't flow.
Thanks for the response Nova.....I've saw good/bad reviews on the cheap Chinese pumps but for 18 bucks on Amazon I thought I would give it a try.

60 degrees he in the Missouri Ozaks already today and thought I would clean her up and check everything out.

IMG_3938 (800x600)

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New fuel pump came in and I'll provide more details later but I'll just say that it is made in China and everything must be backwards there. I did get it installed and it did pump fuel though.

My Prairie started right up and I thought I had it made but after several seconds I smelled gas and then saw that gas is coming out from the ends of the rubber connector that supplies fuel between the 2 carbs. I've rebuilt the Mikuni CV carbs on my 1100 Suzuki but the CVK carbs are new to me.

Is my only option to replace the fitting between the 2 carbs? Just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid here and it wouldn't be the first time

Prairie Carbs

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
I've never seen them leak there.
How much pressure is the pump putting out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never seen them leak there.
How much pressure is the pump putting out?
I installed the pump in the tank, skid tank in place, added fuel, and hooked pump up to electrical connections but did not hook the pump hose to fuel shutoff....turned key on and pump had a good stream coming out but I could put my thumb over the end of the hose and easily stop the flow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My ATV continued to run fine while fuel was spilling out.

I’m guessing that the orings on the fitting dried out and shrunk from setting with no fuel/use.

I’ll pull the carbs and take a look at then and see if other parts are needed.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
My ATV continued to run fine while fuel was spilling out.

I’m guessing that the orings on the fitting dried out and shrunk from setting with no fuel/use.

I’ll pull the carbs and take a look at then and see if other parts are needed.
Ethanol fuel is death to older rubber parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the carbs and the fitting between the two carbs definitely has bad o rings with hard scale built up on them.
Anyone know of an o ring kit with OEM quality o rings for all fittings?

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
You don't want an O ring kit, you want 2 O rings. An auto parts store should have a selection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parts came in and got the carbs assembled and installed today and she started right up. I did notice that the reverse/red light and neutral/green light were flashing and I am assuming that is an error code and will look at that in more detail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got enough assembled to take a short trial ride and it was apparent right off the bat that something was wrong...6mph tops and reverse/neutral were flashing. Took the belt cover off and it was in limp mode and flipped the switch and she purred like a kitten and ran it up to about 35 and all seemed good.

The engine is overheating slightly and that is next on the list before I re-install all the plastic covers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The overheating issue was an easy fix...fuse for fan was blown and I replaced it and did a 30 minute shakedown cruise and worked fine.

Put all the plastic covers back on and cleaned her up a bit....3-5” of snow predicted for tomorrow so looks like I’ll be having some fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since my Prairie was all cleaned up I skipped playing in the snow and instead pulled the wheels, racks, and front bumper off and I’m going to repaint them. I’m not looking forward to re-installing that front bumper already and I bet it is going to be a biotch to get lined up with all the homes.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Looks like the pooches have a good supply of treats! Spoil them friends. They leave us much too soon.
Prairie looks good btw.?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Used bed liner to paint the racks/bumper and it was super easy to put on...much easier than paint and should be very easy touch up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts