Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
03 Prairie 650 - Dynatek CDI - 2200 miles
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently had my carburetors fully rebuilt (all the rubber gaskets & o rings) it runs perfect except when I have the throttle all the way pinned, then it will randomly cut back like it's hitting a speed limiter around 50-55... I've had it up to 65ish before I had the work done so I'm not too sure what going on? I pulled the carbs apart to make sure the mechanic did everything right and it all checked out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If your engine is smooth running I would suspect belt slippage. Remove the CVT cover and inspect the belt and pulleys.
CVTs are deceptively simple but many are confused about what is going on with them. IF all components are not working 100% it will drastically cut the speed you can run at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I brought it back to the mechanic and brain stormed with him.... I said the only thing I could think of is if he didn't resync up the carbs when he put them back together... (The only reason I didn't do it myself and brought it in instead) Which he admitted he did not.. so I'm assuming that's what the issue is. Belt and everything look good.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Was the main carb jets increased in size during the rebuild , are the main jets the same front & rear - or installed wrong, carb float height set correctly - u can follow the service manual to visually check the height, are the chokes disengaged, is the fuel pump good and keeping up, is the battery good ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup all of that's good. I'm gonna purchase a vacuum gauge to synchronize the carbs together, and go from there. I'll let you guys know how it turns out

·
Super Moderator
12,576 Posts
Synchronizing the carbs won't do a thing, unless there's a problem with the idle.
It's NOT the belt slipping.
Was there a carb "kit" installed? If so, take it out.
Try opening the choke a bit when it's losing power to see if it's better or worse.
Why did you have the carbs rebuilt in the first place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since people are willing to help I'll write down whats all going on. Give me a few

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the mechanic pull the belt and check it he said it still looked good, so that should be fine. No carb kit installed, he cleaned the originals and put them back in (in the right spot too since one jets bigger and what not) . I had the carbs rebuilt because it was leaking a bunch of gas from the gas tube that connects the 2 carbs, so he had to split them apart. I bought 2 new diaphrams also since the old ones were getting weathered and I didn't want to have to pull the carbs apart and mess with it again. When your trying to go WOT it will be fine for alittle bit but as your gaining some decent speed it will bog down like your trying to run with the air box lid off. You can hear it and feel it in the carbs. (Sounds like it sucking too much air or something) I rode it around for a good hour driving it kinda hard and it ran okay but you can tell somethings alittle off. But it's no where near as bad as when your WOT high rpms

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also by the 2 diaphrams I replaced I'm talking the small ones that make it not backfire, forgot what they're called. I never changed the 2 big slide diaphrams. I'll try messing with the choke next time I ride it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts