Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this has been covered 4539 times but I can’t for the life of me find the help I’m looking for…(ex wife said the same thing)
2006 Prairie 650 timing chain tensioner. Rear cylinder - piece of cake. Front cylinder - not so much. Machine came in after another shop gave up on it and not everything was together correctly. My issue is how in gods name do I get the front chain tight? Tensioner u say? Where the F is it? It’s not bolted to the cylinder like the rear is,….My only guess is it’s down behind the primary (I’m guessing)
I have the service manual but either I’m reading it wrong (just the chain section) or it just isn’t clear enough. Apparently I need it in laymens terms
Please. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
4,812 Posts
The rear tensioner is on the cylinder but the front is on the head. If the head you have doesn't have the port...it's a head for the rear cylinder..ie wrong head. See pic

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine doesn’t have that on the front..it has the casting in the metal but no hole Weird because it’s the factory head too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHAT THE DEUCE!! Any recommendations? Kinda in a pickle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can’t find ANY info about the front head having a tensioner provision on it! Anywhere. Even the service manual isn’t really clear

·
Super Moderator
4,812 Posts
The manual shows it. All the chains have one. This pic shows three of the four- the Front, Rear and Intermediate chain tensioners.

If it were me I would just go and either get a front head off ebay or..bite the bullet and buy a brand new one from Kawasaki..and be sure to get the cap as they are a set..and the tensioner parts..and a head gasket. Either way you will need a machine shop to install the valves so...good luck

·
Super Moderator
4,812 Posts
Or...it looks like the back head which you have on the front...if it is one for that year, as the casting for the tensioner. That could be machined and tapped to receive the tensioner. I also assume there is an anchor point for the bar that may also have to be installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s exactly what the front head looks like. There’s a partial casting there but it’s not “open” (if that makes any sense). I’m pretty good at fabricating and I also have a small machine shop here so I’m thinking about buying a tensioner and just milling the opening. We’ll see how it goes. I’ll get some pics during and keep ya posted.
I really appreciate your help NMKAWIERIDER! I owe ya a beer bro 🍺

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had an oldset of heads from a BF 750. Same deal. Only had the opening on the rear . But it’s identical to the 650 so I’m just gonna use the BF rear and put it on the 650 front

1 - 11 of 11 Posts