Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Prairie 700 Blows ACC Fuse on Key Turn

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Tiha 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a new to me Prairie 700. When I got it - the carb had been rebuilt, but had not been placed back on the ATV. I have since placed it on - but before I placed all of the air box and components back on, I wanted to ensure it would run. The ATV will RUN if I put in gas through the carbs. At this point, I was rather thrilled but noticed on its own - that the fuel pump would not put gas into the carb to keep it running. At this point, I detemined the fuel pump must be an issue. Upon checking it via the brown and black/red wire - I discovered that NO power was even getting to the fuel pump. I then checked the ACC fuse and found it to be blown. I replaced the fuse - turned the key - and it instantly blew again. I disconnected everything connected to the CDI box - and it blew again. I've got most things disconnected (see photo) and still instantly blow a fuse. I've checked wiring and have yet to find a bad wire. The head lights are disconnected, tail light is disconnected, and I still blow a fuse.

I assume at this point - that the fuel pump is powered off the ACC line.

Does anyone have any ideas of things I could be overlooking?!

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Additionally - its worth a note. With the fuse removed, I put my meter on continuity, touched the red lead into the fuse folder. And touched the black lead to the frame. My 'thought' - was that if I had a wire touching the frame, I'd have a continuity beep......I DO get a beep only one ONE side of the fuse holder. It appears to be the red/black wire is somehow grounded.

#3 ·
I must have got a little lucky. Looking at that wiring diagram, the red/black wire goes straight to the accessory cigarette lighter plug/charger. I went down to that and saw it was hooked up but not grounded. I dug around and found the connection that was supposed to go to it - was empty. It looks like someone took the red/black and mated it with the brown wire - thus grounding it out.

Unfortunately, this did not cause my fuel pump to kick on. I attempted to measure voltage to it - but I needed 3 hands for that job - and I only had 2. From what I could gather, while pushing the starter I had at least 9v. I know I need 12, so once I get a helping hand, I'll see if I have 12. Tomorrow, hopefully I can send 12v straight to it from the battery.

#4 ·
Okay - 3rd hand came, and I do only have 9V at the fuel pump. It looks like this comes from the igniter...... so perhaps I need to get a new one. I still need to put 12v straight on the pump to see if that triggers it.

#5 ·
Sounds like you are on the right track. I would put +12v to the pump and see if it runs.
I am not sure the theory of operation. 9v during startup might be by design. I know when I turn my key on the fuel pump runs, but it sure sounds different between key on and when engine is running. Meaning it is getting more voltage with engine running than just key on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.