2561 - 2575 of 2575 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Ghostknife - We call that mud road if I'm thinking the same area

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Been on a tour of Utah the last couple weeks. Made some cool stops looking for bighorn sheep, and finished a goal I set last year to find and ride the highest legal roads in Utah. There are some discrepancies in what the highest roads are. Some are private property, and have gates limiting how high you can go. Some have been closed to motorized traffic and turned into foot trails. So it's been a quest to find just how high you can legally get on public land with an atv. On this trip, I rode up to the top of three contenders. One of them ended up being in contention for the highest road. It topped out at 11,425 feet. I found a place last summer that topped out at 11,500 feet, but the legality of the last few feet is questionable. So, Fish Lake Hightop Plateau at Tasha Spring looks like it's in the top three for the highest point in Utah that you can take an atv.

Mt. Brigham road tops out at about 11,100 feet. The road continues to 11,680, but it's private property so it doesn't count.

The Tushar Mts. top out over 12,000 feet, and still have lots of snow at the end of August!

Found this really cool purple rock behind Mt. Brigham

Miner's Park and Bullion Falls on the way to Mt. Brigham

Upper Box Creek Res on the way to second high peak, Monroe Peak.

Manning Meadows Res.

Barney Lake

Hunts Lake from Monroe Peak, which topped out at 11,227 feet.

Hunts Lake

Looking at Zion National Park across the canyon

Found this nice ram near St. George, Utah

I love this pic. I parked my Prairie and hiked up a mountain to look for sheep only to find that the sheep came down the mountain and started feeding right by my atv! They weren't sure it belonged there, but eventually got comfortable with it.

This little lamb walked by me within ten yards. I was fully camoflauged, but he knew that "bush" over there looked kind of weird! Something wasn't right..... LOL.

Sheep country

One of the best things a Utahn can see while out riding.....a herd of sheep standing on a cliff above the trail.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics Kickstart - AWESOME

·
Registered
3,047 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Pics from riding today

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Some pics from my second trip to central and southern Utah. Did another high road the first day, then went WAY back into the back country. One of the trails I went on still had my tracks in the mud from my last trip out there in 2014! Nobody goes out there.

A great 50" trail on the Paiute:

The top of the Tushar Mountains at 11,468 feet:

To get this pic required an 8 hour drive, 38 miles of 4x4 towing over a dirt road, and a 90 minute atv ride (with winching)!

Rock Creek Bay

My friend at what I call "hand rock" pictograph panel. Probably less than a hundred people since 1965 have seen this. It's absolutely the most remote place my atv's have ever been.

Woolsey log overlooking Rock Creek. This tree saw dinosaurs walking around it.

My friend on one of the craziest roads in Utah. Several folks died making this road called the Kelly Grade.

The underground coal fires that give Smoky Mountain it's name. They've been burning for hundreds of years.

A cool wash near Lake Powell called Crosby Canyon. This road was illegal to ride during the Obama years, but the people (and Mr. Trump) have opened it to OHV use. Thank you!

Sheep country:

And Glen Canyon Dam that forms Lake Powell as seen from the US89 Bridge.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
A few more pics from last week.....

A cool slot canyon

A sign that pretty much sums up how I feel about Polaris and Subarus. Lol!

Zion National Park

Kanab area

Beaver Mountains

·
Registered
3,047 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts

My last camper had some structural issues so I bought another one.
This one is just over 11' and has a built in generator, bigger shower and some nice counter top space.

I went camping last weekend up in Gooseberry and camped in the Gooseberry Campground.
There were only two other campers in the campground.
I think I got the best spot.

Next week I'm heading out to spend a few days riding the Arapeen Trails.

The fall colors were spectacular. :D

I stopped and had lunch at one of the picnic tables that the Paiute Trail Committee has placed along the trails.
We have placed them along the Paiute Trail, Gooseberry and Great Western Trail. 31 tables in all.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Congrats on the new rig. Looks like fall is well upon you up there.
Thanks, I'm liking this camper a lot more than y other one.
Fall is my favorite time of the year.

2561 - 2575 of 2575 Posts