Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

2981 - 3000 of 3005 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

Yesterday was a beautiful day and I should have gone for a ride then but I didn't.
So today on my way home from breakfast I decided to take a short one before the storm arrived.

Now it needs another wash job. ;)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

Well yesterday was another nice day, especially considering its February so I was off for another short ride.

And a ride down Mud Flat would not be complete without another video crossing Fish Creek all three times.

I guess I could have pulled that little yellow lever and made it further but as you can see there's nothing to hook a winch cable to so this was it for the day.

Coming up this was WOT in high!!

Just a short 25 mile ride but as always, it was fun.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I went for a short ride yesterday, only about 10 miles and I never left the park.
We have a hiking/biking trail called The Centennial Trail that runs through the park to various points of interest.
Every once in a while we ride the trail to make sure there's no issues like trees that have dropped onto the trail.
It sure surprises hikers when you come around a corner on an ATV. :ROFLMAO:

We've had a huge beaver problem the last two years. Our trapper caught a 75 lb male and two
juveniles on Thursday. They are very destructive little bastards.

Like Devils Tower in Wyoming, this is an igneous intrusion. That means it formed underground from molten rock. Magma pushed up into the surrounding sedimentary rock.

Clear Creek Canyon is beautiful and full of history including 1200 year old Indian Rock Art.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

In one of the previous pictures there's a tree downed by a beaver. :mad:
Here's one of the bastards our trapper got last Thursday, a 75 lb male. He's huge.
The day before he got two juveniles from the same damn.
Now he needs to get the mom and possibly another juvenile.
Then to the next dam.

·
Registered
987 Posts

In one of the previous pictures there's a tree downed by a beaver. :mad:
Here's one of the bastards our trapper got last Thursday, a 75 lb male. He's huge.
The day before he got two juveniles from the same damn.
Now he needs to get the mom and possibly another juvenile.
Then to the next dam.
That thing is insane

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Registered
85 KLT110, 08 Prairie360, 11 Prairie360, 11 Prairie360 Camo
35 Posts
Are you driving a PistenBully? I always thought that would be fun. Where I used to work, we had equipment made by Kassbohrer, so our shop foreman bought a PistenBully for himself. I remember it on the trailer when it came in-it was a crew cab with a back seat. Then he took it home-don't know how much he ever used it. Night duty may be fun once in
a while eh?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

Yes, its a Pisten Bully 100. I work for Utah State Parks OHV Program and groom two different areas. Each run is about 60 miles and it takes between 12 and 13 hours each run.

Times like this when I'm the first one there is peaceful and beautiful.

If there's a downside to grooming this is it.
Its dark, I'm tired, its freezing outside and the snowcat is covered with snow and ice.
You have to dig out the ice and snow so you can attach the chains to all for corners and then tighten up the chains with chain ratchets.
By the time you're done loading the cat you are seriously asking yourself, "why in the hell do I do this." :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
85 KLT110, 08 Prairie360, 11 Prairie360, 11 Prairie360 Camo
35 Posts
You are up east of Beaver? I think Beaver would be a cool town to live in. The guys at Williams pipeline keep one of these in Kemmerer WY (minus the grooming aspect) and use it to get to pipeline facilities up in the mountains during the winter. Pretty sure Kern River keeps one in Evanston as well, as their pipeline goes over some serious mountains from Evanston down to Bountiful/Woods Cross. Thats an F450 pulling? You probably need at least an F350 for that job. It looks like a nice PB.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts

Yes, its a Pisten Bully 100. I work for Utah State Parks OHV Program and groom two different areas. Each run is about 60 miles and it takes between 12 and 13 hours each run.

Times like this when I'm the first one there is peaceful and beautiful.

If there's a downside to grooming this is it.
Its dark, I'm tired, its freezing outside and the snowcat is covered with snow and ice.
You have to dig out the ice and snow so you can attach the chains to all for corners and then tighten up the chains with chain ratchets.
By the time you're done loading the cat you are seriously asking yourself, "why in the hell do I do this." :ROFLMAO:
You've probably said before what 2 routes you do, but I forget which ones they are?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
You are up east of Beaver? I think Beaver would be a cool town to live in. The guys at Williams pipeline keep one of these in Kemmerer WY (minus the grooming aspect) and use it to get to pipeline facilities up in the mountains during the winter. Pretty sure Kern River keeps one in Evanston as well, as their pipeline goes over some serious mountains from Evanston down to Bountiful/Woods Cross. Thats an F450 pulling? You probably need at least an F350 for that job. It looks like a nice PB.
Yes, its a F-450, a 2009 HD with a 6.4L diesel. Biggest POS I've ever driven. :ROFLMAO:

State Parks has 17 snowcats for grooming. I got mine brand new in 2018. Parks bought three Pisten Bullys, two like mine and a bigger one. They wont buy any more of them. They have been troublesome and not very well liked. Mine's OK but has has a couple of issues that Pisten Bully says there's nothing they can do about it. Had people here from up in Logan where we bought it several times the first year to try and fix it but they never could.

My biggest complaint is that when I'm dragging the tiller its almost impossible to make drag the tiller around left hand bends without it literally coming to a stop an the right track digging down fast and deep. No problem right hand turns. They have tried everything. Last time it was in the shop for its annual service they boosted the pressure up to max, it helped but it still a problem.

The plow up front wont tilt right as far as it will left. It makes it difficult to try and cut through a drift that have blown across the road.

Lots of good things about it but its not ideal for what we use it for.

I do like the engine coolant that runs through the wiper blades so ice doesn't built up in them.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
You've probably said before what 2 routes you do, but I forget which ones they are?
This one I start out going up SR153 out of Junction, City Creek Canyon. I take 137 down past Lower Kents Lake to 153, turn around and head back to 153 then down to Puffer Lake and back to Junction.

The other route starts in Koosharem and I head over to Big Lake and down Hunters Flat, turn around and go back to PST 44 and over to Monroe Mountain Road and down to Monrovian Park.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
This one I start out going up SR153 out of Junction, City Creek Canyon. I take 137 down past Lower Kents Lake to 153, turn around and head back to 153 then down to Puffer Lake and back to Junction.

The other route starts in Koosharem and I head over to Big Lake and down Hunters Flat, turn around and go back to PST 44 and over to Monroe Mountain Road and down to Monrovian Park.
Wow, those are great routes. I can see why it takes so long to groom them.
How much traffic does the Big Lake route see?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Wow, those are great routes. I can see why it takes so long to groom them.
How much traffic does the Big Lake route see?
Each run is about 60 miles. I probably only average 5-6 mph for the entire trip. Sometimes I might hit 12 mph and I stop and eat too.

I seldom go on weekend or during the day but judging from the tracks most of the traffic past Big Lake is from cabin owners that come up through Glenwood.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Each run is about 60 miles. I probably only average 5-6 mph for the entire trip. Sometimes I might hit 12 mph and I stop and eat too.

I seldom go on weekend or during the day but judging from the tracks most of the traffic past Big Lake is from cabin owners that come up through Glenwood.
I've been waiting for our groomer here to run his routes, but his groomer broke down for about a week. I think it's up and running now though.
Been too muddy 'round here to ride anywhere else.😉

·
Registered
856 Posts
Well played hooky from work today and plowed out a fresh 9 inches of snow from my driveway and the elderly woman next doors driveway to. When the work was done popped off the plow and put some miles riding the backroads. Even rode into town and had some chilli at the bar for lunch, it was a great day.

·
Registered
856 Posts
2981 - 3000 of 3005 Posts