Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2001 Prairie 300 2x4.
Fixing a bunch of stuff do to neglect and shoddy repairs.
The guy I purchased it from had a "backyard mechanic" replace the carb. along with some other stuff to get it running.
It runs well but the choke doesn't work as it should.
I have to hold the choke lever to keep the choke on, the guy I bought it from said it used to stay where you put the lever.

Thinking he did something wrong or didn't install the carb. correctly or missing parts.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Pull the choke from the carb, and actuate the choke lever and see if the choke plunger moves freely. If not, maybe the cable needs replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It moves freely.
It doesn't stay on if I let go of the lever.
I need to hold the choke lever to keep the choke on

Thanks

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Maybe the PO had installed a thicker or longer choke plunger spring ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking I should ask before I take it apart ... is the choke lever supposed to stay where I put it or should return to the off position by itself?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
My choke lever stays where I put it.

·
Super Moderator
12,619 Posts
The choke lever staying where you put it is controlled by the lever itself, not the carb. Make sure the screw holding the lever on is tight, and all parts are present.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nova
The hack that worked on the machine last didn't put the choke lever on with the oem parts and used a any old screw.
I'll be ordering the correct parts

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
12,619 Posts
Nova
The hack that worked on the machine last didn't put the choke lever on with the oem parts and used a any old screw.

Thanks for the help
I learned that just any screw won't work by first-hand experience, lol. I finally got tired of holding the choke on until it warmed up, and ordered the correct screw and washers myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nova

Thanks for the help
Don't feel bad, some dumb person either the previous owner or someone before that did a crap hack job on my Bayou 300 using a replacement carb and jimmy rigged intake tube and hose from a Honda 250 Fourtrax I think.

I was pissed when I found that crap and put OEM back on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the parts from Babbitt's, they arrived quickly.
Installed them and now the choke works as it should.
I'm still amazed at how many screws, bolts and clamps were either missing or left loose.
Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
12,619 Posts
Glad it's working.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts