Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm having problems with my old prairie 700. She starts and idles beautifully, but backfires when accelerating. The belt light just started flashing, but I'm guessing that's the drive belt and has nothing to do with the timing? Little to no experience working on quads, but I've rebuilt plenty of car engines and outboards so I feel comfortable taking her apart. Suggestions?

Thanks, Ron

·
Super Moderator
12,576 Posts
Has it lost most of it's top speed and power? Did it start working poorly when the belt light started flashing (which should be a big hint)?
If the belt switch is tripped in the CVT case, the ECU goes into limp mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has it lost most of it's top speed and power? Did it start working poorly when the belt light started flashing (which should be a big hint)?
If the belt switch is tripped in the CVT case, the ECU goes into limp mode.
Thanks for the response. I left the quad at my buddies ranch so not sure if the light started at same time and once it starts backfiring I don't accelerate. Removed the belt yesterday and waiting for another in a few days. My buddy tells me that the valves need adjustment. We started her up with the belt off and she's still backfiring, so apparently the belt is just part of the problem. Oddly, the belt looked fine! Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts