Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys add another rad to the rack (probably not) or just move it?

The reason I ask is because the Prairie rad does not have a filler neck with a rad cap on the rad. The Brute does.

So my question is, do I buy a Brute rad to stick on my rack or have a rad shop install a filler neck? What have you guys been doing? Are there any aftermarket or other styles of rads from different ATV's that work the best?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just moved the stock one up to the rack. I flipped the rad upside down on the rack also. If you do not flip it upside down one of the hoses points straight up on the top of the rad and I didnt like that. Havent had any problems in 2 years since I moved it. Here is a pic.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a sharp looking Prairie. Nice! How do you fill it and get all the air out if it's upside down? Post a few more pics. I like it.

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts
Very cool Prairie....:notworthy:
I think it would be very hard to bleed the air out,unless there is a bleeder valve of some sort installed at the highest point.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bleeder valve ok, but where is the fill?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well its alittle tricky but not bad. First flipping the rad doesnt realy matter its flows the same upsidedown or not. I just did it because it looks better. So what I do is hook up the bottom hose to the rad and tilt the rad back towards the front of the rack and fill from the top hole in the rad. Then fill the top hose up as far as you can and here is the tricky part putting them together without spilling alot. Just put your thumb on the top rad hole to plug it while you position it back in place and then shove the hose on fast. Its not that bad and I hardly lose any coolant anymore. Then I just fill the res up down by the footpeg and its worked every time never overheated. Also dont forget when you relocate it you have to extend your wires for the fan, and temp sensor. Here are some more pics I dont have very many close up of the rad sorry.

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts
I was thinking of filling it at the upper hose. After a few heat cycles and expansion,it would push the air out the bleeder.??

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some more pics I dont have very many close up of the rad sorry.
Would it be too much to ask? I would like to see your rad mount too. Thanks for the replies.

That's a sweet ride bro. B)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking of filling it at the upper hose. After a few heat cycles and expansion,it would push the air out the bleeder.??
Yea that is the only way unless you get a brute rad with the fill cap but I dont think you need it. It has the amr 730 in it also and has never once over heated set up like this. I run it hard in the pits and also trail ride it alot so l think its a decent setup.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here are some more pics I dont have very many close up of the rad sorry.
Would it be too much to ask? I would like to see your rad mount too. Thanks for the replies.

That's a sweet ride bro. B)
Are you kidding and steal my 10 dollar lowes stock metal brackets idea!!!!! Ha ha no problem thats why we all love this site anyways right. I would have already got you one but the wife has the camera with her. I will have to wait till she gets back tonight then I will take a few more.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:lol: You will just be lending me bracket ideas. Thanks. :p

·
Registered
787 Posts
I mounted my old one like it came out of the frame except tilted back a little bit. Mine was completely enclosed due to thick woods riding, it saved my radiator a few times. You would fill from the top barb, just like a filler neck. I never had any problems this way. I've also seen some guys move the thermostat above the plastic for easier filling. The only dual radiator setup I have seen is Camo650's.........

Here's my old setup....

Camo650's.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
i don't know where the filler is on a prairie, but nissan's fillers are lower than the heater hoses, they have a funnel that is about 2 foot deep... the funnel has a connector that looks like a radiator cap... you put on the funnel and fill it up then all the air works out through the funnel... just a thought

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you go to Summit Racing supply or Jegs you will find an inline radiator fill with a cap that goes in the upper radiator hose for race cars that have the radiator mounted lower that the top of the engine .They sell these for different size hoses.You could try one of these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts