Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help folks. Anyone have a winch mounted on a p650, p700, or Brute 650SRA?
What mount did you use? How does it sit in the frame?

I just mounted a Warn winch on a Warn bracket. The bracket is designed to lay the winch on it's side so that the top is facing the rear of the bike, and the bottom of the winch faces forward. This appears to be a problem because it specifically states in the owner's manual that the winch rope must wrap from the bottom of the spool or the winch brake system will not be in the correct direction. Since my winch lies on it's side, I cannot wrap the spool from the bottom because the rope would come out too low and hit the bracket before it goes over the fairlead roller.
I need to get a bracket that mounts the winch so the top is top, not 90 degrees off facing backwards.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one would mount the winch right-side up, but would raise the location of the winch up much higher in the frame, and would partially block the radiator.😕

·
Registered
742 Posts
Didn't you already have a winch? You should be able to use your old bracket even if the you need to drill new holes. I replaced an old viper winch with a warn VRX25 and it mounted right up the viper mount.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't you already have a winch? You should be able to use your old bracket even if the you need to drill new holes. I replaced an old viper winch with a warn VRX25 and it mounted right up the viper mount.
Yes, I mounted the VRX25 right on the Warn mount that my Warn 2.5 CI was on. But the problem is that the VRX-25 (and probably the CI as well) has a brake that only works in one direction. That direction requires the spool be wound in a certain direction with the rope coming off the bottom half of the spool. Since the old Warn mount lays the winch on it's side, the rope can't come off the bottom half because it would not clear the hole in the mount before going over the bottom roller. It must come off the top of the spool to come straight out the fairlead.
Seems pretty stupid to me that Warn would design a mount that orients the winch in a way that the winch can't work properly.😕

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you post up a picture of your setup?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's the setup. Warn apparently made the oem mount for Kawasaki. It has to go this way, and as you can see, the winch is on it's side and the rope can only come off the top if it is to come straight through the fairlead.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, now that I'm looking at it, I think I see what's going on. It may be mounted correctly. I think that on quads that have flat plate mounts in which the feet of the winch can be mounted facing down, the motor is designed to be on the passenger side. Jeeps are that way for sure. So by flipping the winch 180 degrees on it's axis, that puts the motor on the driver's side, and that would allow the rope to come off the top of the drum and still be in the correct rotation for the winch brake to work. All you have to do is cross the winch control wires so that in is out, and out is in, and that was already done by the dealer for the previous winch. So it looks like it was correct all along.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah if it could sit up higher....
Yes, then it could be mounted feet down. But it would also require the grille to be removed on the bumper. Rather than alter the vehicle, Warn laid it on its side and flipped it 180 to keep it low in the frame.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My mount bracket is one piece and looks similar to the one for the 650i/750i, 4 u-bolts hold it on. The winch sits up a little bit in front of the radiator.

These pictures are from a few years ago but they show the front and you can tell my mount is different and the winch is mounted feet down.

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My mount bracket is one piece and looks similar to the one for the 650i/750i, 4 u-bolts hold it on. The winch sits up a little bit in front of the radiator.

These pictures are from a few years ago but they show the front and you can tell my mount is different and the winch is mounted feet down.
View attachment 76174 View attachment 76177 View attachment 76175
Thanks for posting those. It looks like the Brute is a little different mount because of the difference in the bumper. Your winch is bottom down and still pretty low.

I just ordered a Warn mount for my buddy's 650 Brute sra. It will be interesting to see how it looks compared to your's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's been awhile since I had my prairie but I used something similar to the Viper winch mounting plate that the winch mounts with the feet down. I actually had a gorilla winch on mine but I don't think those guys are around anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts