Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of searching on here i decidied that im getting big gun full exhaust, k&n filter, dyna cdi, and a radiator hose for the intake, all of which i have on the way except the hose.

Now i understand that i need to rejet, and after a whole lot more serching came to the conclusion i need to go up one or two sizes and add a shim.

But what number is up one size? 150-->151? Thats what seems logical but I cant find a definite numerical value to answer my question because then i see people saying 170.

I ride @ 600 ft (plow my house),1200 ft (most of my trail riding), and 2000 ft (once in a while)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Usually every 2-3 sizes is how they come. Example 150 then jumps to 152 would be next size up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jetting with mods

It really is a science, especially if you want it right so I recommend putting in just as much research time as wrenching time. Take into account your normal riding elevation and I would start by going with whatever the engineers recommend from Big Gun for jet size and air/fuel ratio for the exhaust you are installing. I would start there and if it is still lean with filter and hose bump up a touch more. Someone on here probably has the same setup and these guys r brilliant so good luck. My rule with all my machines is "lean is mean" but push the envelope and "boom goes the dynamite."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well starting with 142f-146r and 1 shim per. The guy at the shop has done a bunch of these and recommended 2 shims with this combo but the "kit" he threw together for me had a hole in the bag and one fell out so with three shims i figured i will just try one for now and get another shim from him if its bad.

exhaust and air filter just got here 10 minutes ago so maybe i will try to paint the pipes at work tonight and put it on tomorrow, if not then definitely Saturday.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Keihin 142f - 145r, I shim under each needle, and about 2.5 turns out on the air/fuel screw. < That should get you pretty close. You may have to do a 145-148 combo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got the jets in with one shim per needle. the stock jets didnt have any numbers on them so i dont really know what im going from.

didnt strt her up yet as the new exhaust hates me. i snapped both header studs on the front and had to drill em out and retap. then i was gonna put my front pipe on and call it a night but it wont fit!!!!!!!! its too close to the frame and hits the frame keeping it from lining up properly..... WTF!!!!! :mad:

i did get the rear pipe, the muffler, napa hose mod, new jets/shims, and my dyna cdi in though so i guess the day was not a total loss.

Any suggestions for pipe, you guys have trouble getting em on?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I had a HMF pipe that just would not fit on a prairie and ended up returning it. That's what I love about the muzzys they usually fit like a glove.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay i am no expert but the pipe fits if i run it outside of the frame. it goes out around the frame at the front then comes back in close to go under the rest of the plastics. i was just out there and it will fit perfect like that. i think it might be for air flow purposes.

oh well i guess i had one too many last night... no beer now and problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts