Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
$300 brute 650i
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding today and it was going really well and I was pushing the bike to its limits and hit a couple of small to medium jumps after the last jump when I landed I heard a pop and the bike died. I started it back up it sounded rough and then died again and after that the motor sounded like it was locked up and I couldn't pull start it. I thought I had blown the belt but under further inspection the belt is fine and the primary clutch will not move at all forward but will turn backwards. When i turn the clutch backwards the motor spins then stops where the clutch stops it. The clutch also seems to be pushed out and as it sits does not make contact with the belt. Please help

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Well..I believe you have a timing chain issue. All indications are she's jumped time. If so and as the piston's have hit the valves, a full rebuild will be required. Time to take it in. But do this test first- remove the primary and try to rotate the engine. If it still stops...it ain't the clutch.

·
Registered
$300 brute 650i
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well crap, seeing as a need a full rebuild what is the cheapest way to go and gain power while I'm at it

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Ok well crap, seeing as a need a full rebuild what is the cheapest way to go and gain power while I'm at it
What do you consider "cheap". A full basic rebuild/reman done right is going to be $2600+. Adding a BBK adds another 800-1000+ probably. Then because of that BBK you will need a new exhaust system and modified ignition & fuel system...another 1200+ or so depending. So...you have some decesions to make. Do this- Call nFlow and talk to them about what you have and what you want. They will give you the best value for your money out there...and a great warranty.

·
Registered
$300 brute 650i
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is that the do it yourself price or the shop price because I will probably do this myself. Also is there anything else it could be I was told by 2 other people that it could be either the crankshaft or the transmission. Not doubting you but trying to check all the bases

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
The crank is only connected to the transmission through the belt and clutches. With them off if you can not rotate the crank 360 degrees without encountering interference, you have real problems.

Need to understand what happened and then you can decide what actions to take...and if it makes economic sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts