Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running the Dalton Blue spring which came with the clutch kit. I have my doubts wether this is the best choice and would like any advise you can offer. What I can expect from changing the spring to whatever you suggest? I want no or only a little stall since I don't dragrace.
My mods are in the signature.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Springs with only a slight stall that I have liked are the EPI Maroon, which I run now and the EPI almond.

You may already be familiar with this site but it has the spring load chart of the primary springs.

www.700v.com/springchart.htm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thanks, I know the site. The problem is that I don't understand what the "shiftout" column means:blush:
Please explain how shifting to a Maroon or Almond spring will effect the performance of the bike:confused:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Ditto---Pink spring

Kenny

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thanks, I know the site. The problem is that I don't understand what the "shiftout" column means:blush:
Please explain how shifting to a Maroon or Almond spring will effect the performance of the bike:confused:
Can someone please explain what kind of change in performance I could expect when switching to a Pink or an Almond or a Maroon spring. Any explanation of "shiftout" will also be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I'll take a shot . . .

the shift out is where the clutch fully opens, after that it's all motor RPM's that make it go faster. So I "think" you want it to shift out right where your motor makes the most power.

I have run many different springs. I like the almond the most. has a little stall, but do not let that scare you off. It's nothing like a stall in a car. The stall order goes:

pink stall 0 - shift out 161
maroon 1 - shift out 170
blue stall 3 - Shift out 155
almond stall 19 - shift out 160 this is what I run
orange / blue stall 58 - shift out 205

Really even the orange and blue isn't so wild you can not trail ride it at all. As long as you don't too heavy in the stall you really should be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Those numbers seem way high for the Orange/Blue. Are you sure those are the correct numbers? I thought it was a 25/167 or something like that.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Here are the numbers of some springs. I added comet springs for drags at the bottom that want higher rpms.

epi primary springs (springs with stall under 50)
blue...0-20-115
bright green...17-38-123
gold...25-47-135
red...35-54-140
pink...0-24-160
almond...19-47-160
maroon...1-35-170

dalton primary springs
plain white...10-60-114
black/white...45-82-143
blue...3-60-155
black/orange...56-91-157
orange/blue...25-75-167

Comet Black ... 50-198
Comet white ...., 65-187
Comet silver/red...67-189

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take a shot . . .
You're a brave man:D Thanks!
the shift out is where the clutch fully opens, after that it's all motor RPM's that make it go faster. So I "think" you want it to shift out right where your motor makes the most power.
Ok, I´m still in the dark but I can see a faint light of knowledge... Lets see if I understood this correctly. If I run a spring with less shiftout, like the original spring, the motor will shiftout at a low rpm which would mean less acceleration but better mileage. If I on the other hand run a maroon spring the motor will shiftout at a higher rpm which would mean better acceleration but less mileage. If Im correct, then at what approximate rpm does shiftout occur:confused: But more importantly, how much difference will it be between a Dalton Blue and an EPI Maroon spring:confused:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I see you run 12" rims and 25" tires?

If that were me I'd go to the maroon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see you run 12" rims and 25" tires?

If that were me I'd go to the maroon.
Yes I run tires with 25" diameter. I don't hit the rev limiter with them on (around 7800 rpm at WOT).
Thanks for your advice but I would really like to know what kind of change in performance I can expect from changing to the maroon spring:confused:
Why would you choose the maroon spring:confused:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Your power will come on at different RPM's than stock. For example maroon likes to impress at around 40mph and higher..

the stock spring falls flat after about 40mph

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i run a dalton orange/blue. does stall but once your used to it you dont notice it! u can also get a clutch spring spacer to reduce the stall from venforcer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
im in the same boat, just starting to understand the different springs. i will say this...i bought a epi red spring and trust me...stay away from it. i hated it. it just had way too much stall for tight trails like i ride. it made the bike difficult to handle. im probably going to get the pink and try it next. i like the no stall like it has stock, but i want a different shiftout for more midrange/top end

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Why the maroon?

Because with the taller, heavier tire and the fact that you like me don't want much stall and little to none would work best. It would take more rpm to shift the clutch up the sheaves because it has to over come that heavy of a spring, and keep you lower on the primary and higher on the secondary resulting in a lower ratio, while at the same time provide a smoothness.

In a nut shell it will improve responsiveness out of the hole as much as you're gonna get with the lowest stall spring. The O/B however will provide a quicker backshift or responsiveness on/off/on the throttle than the blue, pink, maroon, or almond

Ultimately the orange blue would be the best choice as it has the highest rate of the most commonly used trail springs with a good shiftout but unfortunately it does have some stall and if you have no use for any as little as it has is too much.

If Ven does have a spacer to remove the stall of the O/B on a stock clutch that is the route I'd go. I know for a stage cut clutch that VFJ does he has one but not sure if he has one for stock clutches.

If you really want to fine tune it for your application you can also change your secondary spring. Results vary but it is possible to get an incredibly responsive machine along with a great backshift if you don't mind giving up a minimum of topend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you look at the link above to the table with different spring you can see that the red spring has some stall but the maroon has no stall but a high shiftout.
The information I've managed to gather on this side of the Atlantic is this: A stiff spring with a high shiftout will result in better acceleration, higher rpm and an increase in fuel consumption. A change to lighter weights will have the same result.
I'm still confused but on a higher level regarding this subject:confused:. Anyway I believe I will give the EPI maroon spring a try. Anyone have one for sale?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts