Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to do the 20 HR service on my Pro FXT. What oil do you guys use and what gear oil for transmission and front gear case?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be prepared if you are doing your own first oil change. The filter is extremely tight. Very small diameter filter I tried several different wrenches including the cap type using a ratchet wrench. Could not budge it. Called my local dealer he said it was typical with filters being overly tight from factory. I gave up made appointment to get oil changed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Engine oil should be a JASO MA-2 certified oil, per kawasaki.
I use Castrol GO! 4T 10w-40, & a Wix 51394 filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just did 120 mile service. I bought oil change kit from local dealer. Only $28 for oil, filter, crush washer. This is a factory kit.
The reason for my post is to make anyone doing this aware of what I found on the rear diff/transmission. When I pulled the drain plug it was obviously under pressure and gear oil spewed out. Changed gear oil and then investigated why there was pressure. I found where the vent tube went up and then down into frame it was kinked in an S curve not allowing diff to vent. I could look up with light in frame and see kink. I pulled it out and clipped it off so it could vent pressure. Hopefully this pressure has not already compromised a seal. I don't see any leaks at this point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just did 120 mile service. I bought oil change kit from local dealer. Only $28 for oil, filter, crush washer. This is a factory kit.
The reason for my post is to make anyone doing this aware of what I found on the rear diff/transmission. When I pulled the drain plug it was obviously under pressure and gear oil spewed out. Changed gear oil and then investigated why there was pressure. I found where the vent tube went up and then down into frame it was kinked in an S curve not allowing diff to vent. I could look up with light in frame and see kink. I pulled it out and clipped it off so it could vent pressure. Hopefully this pressure has not already compromised a seal. I don't see any leaks at this point.
What is the crush washer? I’m about to do my 20 hr service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the crush washer? I’m about to do my 20 hr service.
The crush washer is a copper washer on drain plug. I have reused these on other machines with no problem, but it does give a little peace of mind to have a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another note on my 120 mile service. I have the Ranch model with factory installed winch. I was able to just remove the aluminum plate in front of winch that is held with 4 phillips head screws to access fill plug on front differential. Much easier than removing bumper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The crush washer is a copper washer on drain plug. I have reused these on other machines with no problem, but it does give a little peace of mind to have a new one.
Gotcha. Thanks. I didn’t know if it was for the filter. I’d be fine re-using it if it looks ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts