Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Mule Pro FXT. Most use is on trails going pretty slowly, and mostly in 4WD & lo gear. But occationally we get on more of a road and take it up to 25-30 mph. When doing this, a number of times there had been a very harsh "bang" from the drive train as though it's locking up. It quite alarming, to say the least.

Anyone else experience this or know what it is?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had a couple of bangs before. Now, when I go from 4wd to 2wd, I run it in reverse 5-10 yards first, seems to stop it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aren't you supposed to be able to shift from 4wd to 2wd on-the-go, though at low speed? I do frequently, though not always. When I don't change on-the-go, it's almost always because I'm shifting from Lo to Hi at the same time, and in that case I always stop.

Are you suggesting that the bang is the drive train finally making the switch from 4wd to 2wd? I can see how what you are doing would likely trigger the shift before you get underway. But it seems like a broken design if I need to do that when it's supposed to be change on the go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2018 Mule Pro FXT. Most use is on trails going pretty slowly, and mostly in 4WD & lo gear. But occationally we get on more of a road and take it up to 25-30 mph. When doing this, a number of times there had been a very harsh "bang" from the drive train as though it's locking up. It quite alarming, to say the least.

Anyone else experience this or know what it is?
If it is the same as my 4010 Trans Diesel, this happens when you have taken it from 4wd back into 2wd. As I understand it, there is a dog type clutch set up that has spring tension on it when it is in 4wd. The bang is when the tension releases as the transmission goes back into 2wd and the dog clutch lets go.

As suggested above - you can do it stationary or run it slightly in reverse to release the tension and then there will be no "bang".

Over 2 x 4010 Trans Diesels and 2 x Mule 3010 Diesels they all do it. I agree it can be an alarming bang. It is also unpredictable other than it only happens when you go from 4wd back to 2wd.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll pay more attention to when it happens, and what has led up to it. All I can say for certain right now is that it only happens at speed like on a road. I have never had it happen on any trail (slower) riding, even though I switch between 2wd and 4wd frequently.

Is anyone else with a Mule Pro FX(T) experiencing this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks. I'll pay more attention to when it happens, and what has led up to it. All I can say for certain right now is that it only happens at speed like on a road. I have never had it happen on any trail (slower) riding, even though I switch between 2wd and 4wd frequently.

Is anyone else with a Mule Pro FX(T) experiencing this?
My FXT doesn't do that. It sounds to me like your 4x4 may not be disengaging when you flip the rocker switch. Once your on pavement the driveline gets in a bind and something has to give to let the tension off.
With the engine off do you hear the solenoid activating when you flip the 4x4 switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm confident it's switching between 2wd and 4wd, at least eventually. There is a marked difference between the two in the track it leaves behind on a dirt road. Also, for whatever it's worth, it's never been on pavement. Theren't none of that around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Pro FX makes an unusual bang clank when cruising at 25 or so. Pavement or dirt every 15-20 seconds it’s a single noise then quiet till the next one. A 2020 ~100 miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, that's not right. Now I think There is something wrong with it.

My Pro FX makes an unusual bang clank when cruising at 25 or so. Pavement or dirt every 15-20 seconds it’s a single noise then quiet till the next one. A 2020 ~100 miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2017 that does the same thing however i think its coming from the front differential and only occurs once i have switched from 4wd to 2wd. It doesnt seem to occur until i have driven a while although the steering resistance is noticeable until it "bangs" and then its normal. Pretty alarming...and as others have mentioned i chalked it up to the front axle possibly taking a while to disengage. I hope this doesnt cause failure later down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts