Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm very close to having a running brute again and I am trying to replace the intermediate timing chain. No matter how hard I try I cannot get the gear to slip over the intermediate shaft. Is there something I'm missing here? I can't find anything online and my service manual just says put it on. Idk what to do. To clarify the gear fits over the shaft but the chain seems too short to get the gear over the shaft when the chain is threaded over the crank and the gear. Any help would be nice!

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Getting the gear over the end with the chain on has to be tough. I always though it has to come back to the gear and chain from the other side. Maybe save the tensioners for last would help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Getting the gear over the end with the chain on has to be tough. I always though it has to come back to the gear and chain from the other side. Maybe save the tensioners for last would help.

I've got the service manual and I still can't figure it out. Do I have to take the primary off? All I'm doing is trying to replace the intermediate chain and I'd prefer to not have to pull the primary but I guess I have to?

EDIT: all of the tentioners are off and all I'm trying to do is get the rear chain/intermediate chain and sproket over the intermediate shaft and I seem to be about 1/2 an inch shy of chain length to get the sprocket over the shaft.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes you need to pull the primary and pull the shaft out.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll run it by the dealer in the morning and have them pull it. This thing has way too much crap on it that you gotta have special tools for. I just want to drive it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts