·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can we salvage that dipstick?

·
Registered
363 Posts
it looks like its wedged in there pretty darn bad, what the crap did you do to it?

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
fubar

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
LMFAO:lol:

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
That looks like steve-o's first BBK when they bored his cylinders with the unwanted offset.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I figured out exactly what caused it. He didn't install 2.00 worth of cylinder dowel pins. And never changed the stock valve springs with a Fundy race cam. Springs coilbound causing the head and cyl to shift cockeye a little. It threw the came chain over the cam enough to knock the decomposition pins off the front of the cam. 2 dowelpins and a set of HD springs it would probably still be running.

John

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I figured out exactly what caused it. He didn't install 2.00 worth of cylinder dowel pins. And never changed the stock valve springs with a Fundy race cam. Springs coilbound causing the head and cyl to shift cockeye a little. It threw the came chain over the cam enough to knock the decomposition pins off the front of the cam. 2 dowelpins and a set of HD springs it would probably still be running.

John

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

John
Thats why I take myself to you. I can't afford to fix it twice.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Wow sorry about your engine Joe. When I first started building engines I to have made little mistakes to but nothing has ever happened to me like this thankfully. Just take it as a very $$$ lesson and don't do it again. Good luck on your next build if there is one.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts

John
That is too bad. Bummer. How do you figure the rod broke?

Thats why I take myself to you.
:eek: Please keep that between you and John. :lol:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow sorry about your engine Joe. When I first started building engines I to have made little mistakes to but nothing has ever happened to me like this thankfully. Just take it as a very $$$ lesson and don't do it again. Good luck on your next build if there is one.
I'm actually glad this happened gives me a reason to build a single sport machine... might add that I put over 14,000 miles on his motor so feel like I got more than my money's worth... she was producing 58 hp back in 2004 before any of the clowns on his forum figured out how to reach these numbers.

RJ

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
14,000 miles? damn did you ever turn the bike off lol. where are you from? and what kind of riding do you do?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John,

Probably going to run the motor up to your shop on Monday night. Have one set of heads (turns out there 2004) and trying to get a second set or a single rear head... I definitely want to do some experimenting with head modifications so I need two full sets.

1. Camshafts look good so we'll reuse them provided we can fix that pin.
2. Please order the valves/springs and I will have my guy do the valve jobs.
3. Maybe you could determine what crank bearings we need once you remove the crank?
4. Are the current carburetors adequate?
5. We'll talk about the NOS system more (going to need some type of switching because I don't want a nitrous to turn on in the middle of a turn on the ice track).
6. As you said you're going to handle the clutch modification (I wish I had you at the ice races so you could just see exactly where power is needed).
7. Would like to modify that forward reverse lever to be more reliable (removing the rubber band).

That's everything I can think of for now :)

RJ

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
14,000 miles? damn did you ever turn the bike off lol. where are you from? and what kind of riding do you do?
It would be very common for us to ride 200 miles a day and then do that twice in a weekend... have cabin in PA... we would ride to VforceJohns gas station (52 mile) then ride with him all day and back home. We once rode from E Stroudsburg PA to Harrisburg PA and back.

RJ

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I'm actually glad this happened gives me a reason to build a single sport machine... might add that I put over 14,000 miles on his motor so feel like I got more than my money's worth... she was producing 58 hp back in 2004 before any of the clowns on his forum figured out how to reach these numbers.

RJ

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
He tells no lie. That vforce motor had tons of trail riding miles on it as well as some AGP and GNCC races over the years. It was one of the very first 800 motors built with stage 2 cams way back in 2004.

We would meet up and ride 140 miles and then he'd ride home. another 50 miles by himself.

at one time, his was the highest hp 800 at 58 rwhp. Mickey's built 785 with stage 1 504 cams (marylandatv's) only made 48 rwhp and he'd easily wax him.

Here's a write up from the "speedballs riding club" this ride was Halloween day october 2004. If you look where he blew the belt. it was a dayco. back then...who knew??

FOGGY Great Adventure!!!!!!!!

John

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Looked like a fun ride

what exhaust was on the V then?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.