Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wanted a T4! First saw one in Puerto Rico where they were kicking the Sh!t out of Honda's and Suzuki's. Found this one for $700, thought it was in better condition than it turned out to be BUT still not bad at all.

The plan:
- Full engine rebuild (engines already with ILR): 330 Big Bore, bottom end w/ long rod + most of the little extra's (reed, etc, etc.)
- 40m Lectron - ILR Big Bore Pipe - Paint & Chrome - :)
- Suspension upgrade (cuz what it has now ain't workin)
- Will need to upgrade plastics but this is way last on the list ETA
- April 2010, will be completed.

Pic's

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Nice score man :rock:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Very nice. Sounds like it will be a sweet bike when you are finished

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have questions, if you guys dont mind giving your input.

1. Steer stem - mine has some play in it, vertical play not horizonal. How do I fix?
2. Axle - What do I gain with with increasing 2x or 4x? or is stock ok (for Dunning)
3. Swing arm - am I gaining performance? (sorry if this one is a novice question)

I'm trying to spend in the right places and if a swing arm and axle arent getting me much then they can go on the "would like to have " vs. gotta have.

Thanks,

·
Registered
360 Posts
The steering stem problem sounds like the steering steem bearings are shot. I Had the same thing going and replaced them. As fas as making either the front or rear wider, I would say either is good for the T4 no matter what type of riding you do. The T4 is a pretty narrow quad. As far as wider axles I dont believe anybody is producing them anymore. Durablue was the last. Eastcoast ATV had a bunch of the last durablues but I have not seen them listed on ebay in awhile. You can still do wheel spacers on the rear or front axles. As far as a swing arm I only run stock length(trail riding). I am sure other guys can tell you what would be good for the dunes

·
Registered
272 Posts
great find did the top end go on it

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
1. Steer stem - mine has some play in it, vertical play not horizonal. How do I fix?
2. Axle - What do I gain with with increasing 2x or 4x? or is stock ok (for Dunning)
3. Swing arm - am I gaining performance? (sorry if this one is a novice question)
I'm trying to spend in the right places and if a swing arm and axle arent getting me much then they can go on the "would like to have " vs. gotta have.
Thanks,
Mike at rockhound motorsports will have the bearing you need to fix your stem.
The extended axle really doesnt help much if you have stock a-arms, from what I have experienced in the past is it will make the front push more in the corners, meaning it doesnt want to turn.
As for swingarms, I have always ran stock. A few other guys here have longer swingers and love em. It's just going to be up to you whether you will like it or not. If your motor is going to be mostly stock it shouldn't be needed, if you go up to a 330 you may want it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,
Mike at rockhound motorsports will have the bearing you need to fix your stem.
The extended axle really doesnt help much if you have stock a-arms, from what I have experienced in the past is it will make the front push more in the corners, meaning it doesnt want to turn.
As for swingarms, I have always ran stock. A few other guys here have longer swingers and love em. It's just going to be up to you whether you will like it or not. If your motor is going to be mostly stock it shouldn't be needed, if you go up to a 330 you may want it.
Cool, sounds more like a "might want to have in the future" but not needed right now. Thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
As people have said before you can have all the motor in the world, but can only go as fast as your suspension will allow. Unless you are drag racing. Even then a extended swing arm will help

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking for Kawi Green Power to have a few parts powder coated, does anyone know if they make this color or what color will be the closest match? Checking online and it looks like Lime Green is pretty close.

Just looking to do a few ascent parts but I want the color to look close.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stering stem has been answered
swing arm helps if you front end is lifting alot (wheeling) if you climb crazy hills or have a sick motor longer is better.
Wider axle dude is right you should have a wider front end as well. This helps out alot when turning you can turn faster kinda its makes it not as tippy. And won't roll on you as much. When you use spacers its fine on the rear end. The front end give you a bit more arm pump and causes everything to wear out a bit faster but its still better than stock to me. Everyone is different though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm looking for Kawi Green Power to have a few parts powder coated, does anyone know if they make this color or what color will be the closest match? Checking online and it looks like Lime Green is pretty close.

Just looking to do a few ascent parts but I want the color to look close.
Turf Green is what I was told. Not 100% sure I always went metal vein or black on everything myself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I found Kawi Green Powder - CUSTOM MATCH POWDER COATING - WHERE TO BUY POWDER PAINT

Frame, sub-frame, arm's and swing are getting chrome - dawned on me that I have no contrast other than the stock black of the engine and the plastics. Thinking about powder coating the hubs, swing arm stay, the assembly that holds the rear shock, tie rods and that bar that mounts to the swing arm and connects to the break assembly.

Does that sound right? (I know it's my build but I could use a fresh perspective)

* a, yea, getting the steering stem off was a bitch!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slowly but surely, parts coming in.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Bling bling, can't wait to see it done man. :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Were those powdered chrome or were they actually dipped? If it was powdered then that is the best looking PC chrome I've seen

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dipped. I'm not convinced on PC Chrome although really did cross my mind when I saw the price difference.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you dont mind to say, How much did it cost to get those parts chromed?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts