Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride a kfx400. im 5'4" and 20 years old. and its my first quad.

i've gone to my local motorsport dealer and i've sat on the raptor 250. my whole view of quad's has changed now.

i REALLY like the size of the 250. i mean, i like it so much, i would give up my 400 for it.

my only issue is, will i notice a significant power loss? i only ride on trails/woods/powerlines. my friends have 2 LTZ400, and a Raptor660, and my other friend has a warrior350. which i haven't rode yet becuase he just got it and its a 1987 and needs some TLC.

so do you think going down to the 250 i wont be happy?

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Don't even bother with the 250 or 350. You are used to your 400, you go smaller you will regret it. I'd step up to a 450.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
just remember one thing, All the 450 are basically race machines, and have shorter service intervals, and wont last as long as other quads will!!
some of their service intervals are like every 20hrs!!
that for me would be enough to put me off!!

why not have a look at a utility, that can still be a lot of fun, and easier on the body!!
every time I get on the wifes BF750, still behave like a kid, and still have plenty fun!!

and agree, dont go smaller, you will regret it!!

hope this helps!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I've rode a rappy 250 and i'm telling you it's like being on a golf cart:lol: I have a LTZ400 LE and I must say it's a nice ride in the woods and tight trails. Rode the 450 suzuki and it's a nice ride also.

I think it's all personal choice for each individual rider and rider style though.

Like was said 450s alot of service time yo keep up with and no reverse which is a pain in the azz in the woods sometimes as a buddy of mine knows to well:lol:

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Why not build the 400? drop a 440 kit or something into it. My friend had a LTZ440 awhile back..very fun little ride.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Why not build the 400? drop a 440 kit or something into it. My friend had a LTZ440 awhile back..very fun little ride.

That bikes going nowhere! :eek:

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
That bikes going nowhere! :eek:
Ahh hell..all in good fun. The creek was only about 1-2ft deep there.

But back on topic..the DVX/LTZ/KFX 400'S are very good platforms to build on. Reliable, liquid cooled, and fairly light. Good all around atv. If i wasn't so damned big, I'd have one myself. :tup:

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
If you desire a 250 then find you a Mojave in good shape and build it. Stock they have 25 horsepower and will beat most any 300to400cc bikes stock,Impressive for a 250. If you wanna go big time throw a 300+cc bbk in one! For the money you could have a 250 in the size you want with more power than a 450:D I kept my eye out forever trying to find a good one to start with. I finally got it and am loving it. Little thing will hit 10k rpms quickly! :rock: Pretty dumb of Kawasaki to not make them still. Every other main brand has a 250 class. These would make them all look like go karts!:D By far the best 250 4stroke ever.

I just got mine going the other day. Here is the startup vid.

http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/kawasaki-mojave-lakota/94267-my-mojave-lives.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have a raptor 250 and love it but it does not have enough power ,stock is about 17 hp ct racing has a kit that will bump it to about 30 hp on a stock carb jetted, kit is about 900.00 or for additional 250.00 dollars you send them the engine and they'll do it,30 hp on that little thing would be crazy i think the yzf450 only puts out about 32 hp and is heavier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you have a few bucks to spend keep the 400 and spend money on shocks. will make it feel like a new quad...even a set of elka econos without rezzies makes a big difference then get the back shock revalved. motor kits are nice but useless if you cant get the power to the ground properly. suspension will make you faster

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm completely happy with the power of my 400. And it's stock. I'm waiting on a ct pipe still. I'm just not comfortable with the size.

I'm going to look at a kfx450r monster ed soon, maybe I'll keep to this regular size bike.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I'm completely happy with the power of my 400. And it's stock. I'm waiting on a ct pipe still. I'm just not comfortable with the size.

I'm going to look at a kfx450r monster ed soon, maybe I'll keep to this regular size bike.

well, as much as me being a big Kawie fan as for size and comfort would not go for the Kfx450, for the reason that you are looking at it!!

if you are looking for bigger size quad, presume you are referring to physical size, would then look at the kfx700 or one of the utilities
:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
With what your friends ride you will not keep up and be left behind. My son has a Raptor 250. It is great for him, but I think you will be disappointed. You can only build it so much..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts