Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 KFX 700 and the check belt light just came on. I'm pretty sure it's on because it's supposed to come on after every 100 hours of riding but I'd like to change it just to be safe. My question is this, Am I able to change the belt myself? Or do I need to take it into the shop to have this done? Unfortunately I'm on a pretty tight budget and the shop just quoted me parts plus $150.00 labor! Yikes! I can but the OEM belt for $78.00 onine and I found a clutch puller on ebay for $30.00 but I don't want to try this myself and screw something up. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
you can do it yourself.

it's possible to do it without taking the clutch off, without the clutch puller tool, you just roll the old belt off and roll the new one onto the pulley, and maybe lose a finger.

or use the puller, just remember the threads on the clutch bolt are left handed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that all there is to it? Just roll it on? No adjusting or anything? And what about the 'check belt' light?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
To reset your belt light, do the following.

Under your seat to the rear of the battery there are two plugs by the metal hump... a black one and a gray one. Slide out the plugs and disconnect them. Plug the gray to black and the black to gray and then turn the key on. You will see your belt light flash. I can't remember exactly how many times it flashes. I think it might be 5. Once it is done flashing, turn the key back off and put the plugs back to black-black & gray-gray. Reinstall your seat and you are done.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
150 in labor :eek:, it's a 15 minute job

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
Do a search on changing belts; I roll mine off/on all the time, but it's not as simple as that. You will need to pry the secondary clutch apart some to get the belt off.
There is no guarantee that the belt tension will be correct after you put on the new belt. You may have to add or take out shims in the secondary clutch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I tried the roll off method at first... It didn't work for me. Get a clutch puller. From start to finish it really is a 15 min job. After you do it a time or two it turns into a 10 min job.

Besides you'll want that clutch puller when you finally break down and order that stage 3 clutch. :D

Oh and keep the old belt it never hurts to have a spare.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
nothing to it, if you run into problems just ask.

I'll throw this out there and see what everyone else thinks.

I did tell B.Anderson that his belt is probably fine, a 100 hrs is really nothing on them.

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
I've run one belt for at least two years, that includes some pulls, drags, and even plowing the driveway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine had 200 plus hrs of hard riding. The only reason I changed mine was that I put a bbk in it and figured it was time. It really didn't need it though. According the the specs in the manual it was still good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
clutch tool through epi is 35.00 see if anybody local will let you borrow 1 i let a guy in the next town over borrow mine

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey go to www.700v.com that will also help you with different things on the v! theres a how to section there! good luck

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
I still have the belt on mine from 03. Thats after a couple of years on a 730 and one year on NOS. It doesn't hurt that I dont weigh much. I did finally break now and ordered a couple of them.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
agree get the clutch puller now, then you have it!!

have read on here, that the Dalton is the better one, money well spent!!

then, when my Vs belt light came on, did not check it straight away, it still had the whine sound when in gear and at idle, just reset the light!!
waited a while longer to open it up, and instead of adjusting the secondary, replaced the belt!!

only when the second belt needed adjusting did adjust the secondary, that way, when this belt that is on now, needs to be tensioned, can just put back the original belt and it should be in spec!! that way have two belts that are either in spec or very close, should something go wrong, the replacement will be the right tension!!
might sound like a dumb idea, works for me!! maybe I'm just lazy!! :lol:

would not worry about doing any thing now if money is an issue, just reset the light and hold out for a while!!

good luck!!:D

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
If your belt gets old enough to shred, it might cost you a CVT cover as well. That happened to my orange V this past summer. Belt shredded on the dunes at WOT and punched a large hole in the bottom of the cover. Had to buy a new bely AND a cover.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts