Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on doing a "mutt" 730 build on the motor that is in my orange V since it is burning oil and swapping it into my green V but I have a bunch of questions. This will be the first time I have opened up one of these motors. The pistons are old-style Fundy flat-top 84mm 11.5:1 pistons which I think are JE pistons. The cams are FST Stage 2.

Can you look through this parts list? I am not sure of some of these parts are correct and not sure which head gaskets I should get.

Piston Rings - JE Pistons #JG1001-3307
http://www.jepistons.com/Products/JG1001-3307.aspx

Piston Wrist Pin Clips - JE Pistons #787-050-MW
787-050-MW Product Detail Information - JE Pistons

Piston Wrist Pins (if needed) - JE #787-2050-14-52C

Valve Springs
Plan on buying from Glenn @ AMR

Valve Seals
Stock KFX700

Head Gaskets
Not sure what to get. Do the stock BF750 work good? Someone posted that they partially block some coolant passages. Is that correct?

Base Gaskets
Stock KFX700

I would need a valve spring compressor, correct? I am thinking of just sending the pistons, rings, cylinders, and heads to Glenn @ AMR to do the boring/honing and maybe I would just have him install the valve springs & seals. He could look over the heads for me while he is at it then also. I am thinking of sending it all to him because the machine shops around here are going to charge me about the same as he does for a bore/hone and I am not convinced they will do it right. I am in Michigan so AMR (Ohio) is not that far and shipping shouldn't cost that much.

This will be a nice winter project with one problem. Once there is snow on the ground here I won't really be able to take the V for some good, hard runs. Should I wait until the ground is clear again to run it at all?

How much will going from a stock 700 to the 730BBK affect my jetting? Base your answer off the mods to my green V (see sig).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
head gaskets u need the ones from ray, ive got the same pistons! ive got a thread in his forum

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think the 730 head gaskets from AMR might work? I don't see why they wouldn't I am just trying to avoid buying from Canada unless necessary.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool!

Now I just need to get some answers to the other questions and I need to get a hold of JE with the numbers on the pistons to get the correct rings.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i know dawg told me the bf gaskets worked for him, my luck they would fail

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Nah Aaron just bring 'em down we'll get it together!

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glenn told me the BF750 head gaskets work also. I am not sure if that is what he normally uses for his kits or if he was just saying that they would work also.

When I spoke to Glenn today on the phone he told me that if I send my cylinders/pistons & heads to him it would be about a 1.5-2 week turn around time to bore/hone the cylinders & install the new valve springs/seals in the heads. Is that typical turn-around time? Seems pretty long.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Glenn told me the BF750 head gaskets work also. I am not sure if that is what he normally uses for his kits or if he was just saying that they would work also.

When I spoke to Glenn today on the phone he told me that if I send my cylinders/pistons & heads to him it would be about a 1.5-2 week turn around time to bore/hone the cylinders & install the new valve springs/seals in the heads. Is that typical turn-around time? Seems pretty long.
Seems like a long time but imagine all that he has going on.

He'll get it done correctly.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I know. I had thought about getting the boring/honing done locally but I am not convinced that I can find someone that will do a good job. Then I would have to install the valve springs myself which would mean I would need to buy a valve spring compressor.

I really wouldn't NEED it to be done faster than that. I always just get antsy when I get into something like this.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Would it be reasonable to think I may be at over 60HP once I do this build along with the other mods in my sig (for my green V)? Seems like I should be at around 43-45HP with that one right now.

**EDIT** I guess the only other motor-related mods are the HMF duals, UPP intakes, and 6* key.

Should I still be able to run 92 or 93 octane pump gas with the 730?

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
overly optimistic

probably mid 50's at most

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If you're running an 11.5:1 piston you can run 92-93 octane no problem.

Lose the HMF's, get a muzzy and you'll gain a few ponies

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You don't need a spring compresssor if youbhave really strong fingers.... Harbor freight has the clip type compressors for about $15, but they are a pain in the ass to keep on the dual springs once you start compressing them. The c-clamp type you can get at sears for around $35. And since you will have your heads off might work better. Or you can see if vato zone will let you borrow one for a 99 dodge caravan. They have longer fingers than the harbor freight ones. And will actually catch the inner spring better.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Yeah, I know. I had thought about getting the boring/honing done locally but I am not convinced that I can find someone that will do a good job. Then I would have to install the valve springs myself which would mean I would need to buy a valve spring compressor.

I really wouldn't NEED it to be done faster than that. I always just get antsy when I get into something like this.

What you have to realize is that this is not Glenn's only job... I bet right now he works from 40-60 hrs per week at his regular job, plus it is all different times during the day or night. You will get much better results if your not so ANTSY:cool:

With all that said on the other hand it is not the customers fault he has another job, but if you work with Glenn he WILL go to great lengths to work with you as a customer. He has the best customer service hands down if you work with him on his schedule....

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies guys.

I realize that I will have more power with a Muzzy exhaust but I just can't swing that for a while. I am scraping together funds just to get this used, "mutt" 730 put together.

I will be patient with the job. I have pretty much decided to give the work to Glenn because he is close and the overall cost for him to do it is probably within $50 or less of doing it locally (even after shipping costs). For that, I would just rather have Glenn do the work. I had assumed this is what Glenn did for a living. I didn't realize engine building wasn't his main job. That makes more sense with the 1.5-2 weeks of turn around then.

I had thought I was always reading that a properly tuned 730 was in the low-60HP range. I know that [email protected] made 70HP but he had a Muzzy, head porting, and I am not sure what cams or compression ratio. I guess if the mid-50 range is all I can get with my HMF's, I am sure it will still feel a hell of a lot faster than my stocker.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Was not trying to be smart just letting yo know:) This is my third engine with Glenn. I had one of the first 730's with the diamond pistons and they were as heavy as the 840's are now and it made 66 rwhp with xx cams porting 36's and a muzzy pro.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, if that is the case, I am sure that monkey is right. I probably won't have more than the mid-50hp range with no porting and stock carbs. I guess I set my hopes a bit high. Either way, I am sure it will feel a LOT stronger than the stock motor. Even doing just the bolt-on mods made a huge difference to the feel of the quad.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts