Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're thinking it time for another SXS and are interested in a new Mule Im thinking. We've had a 08 Teryx and a Rhino. Id like to hear some opinions on the Mule regarding its off-road ride or capabilities. I don't recall seeing much on Kawai's site about suspension travel and I'm not sure if all the mules are the same as we'd not be interested in a top of the line has everything one. Use will be a mixed bag of forest roads, rocky forest trails, snow covered or muddy. I suppose comparing a Mule to a 08 Teryx, the 07 Rhino we had, or a ranger is what Id like to find out. Ground clearance, ride, noise level, stuff like that. I am curious to the quality and durability of what I believe are the China made Chery engines. Any input would be great! Thanks much ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the pro fxt. They’re awesome for mild off roading and working around the property. Ground clearance is ok. Once loaded down with people and stuff I bottom out a lot on rocks and what not on sxs trails. So I added skid plates.

The bench seat gets uncomfortable on slopes. Makes you slide, bolstered seats would be my preference for more aggressive off roading.

I like mine a lot for a lot of reasons. But if I wanted to really go ride atv & sxs trails in the national forest I’d probably get something different (it’s too wide anyways). Forest service roads on the other hand it’s great for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 Mule Pro FXR. It's only a 3 seater with a shorter wheelbase which nets you extra ground clearance when crawling over rocks, tree limbs etc. The engine is Chinese (Chery) with an excellent reputation. It the same engine that's used in the Smartcar and several other UTVs. I have about 1400 miles on mine, virtually all off road in timber. I've had no problems. My only complaint is irritating rattles coming from the tailgate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We're thinking it time for another SXS and are interested in a new Mule Im thinking. We've had a 08 Teryx and a Rhino. Id like to hear some opinions on the Mule regarding its off-road ride or capabilities. I don't recall seeing much on Kawai's site about suspension travel and I'm not sure if all the mules are the same as we'd not be interested in a top of the line has everything one. Use will be a mixed bag of forest roads, rocky forest trails, snow covered or muddy. I suppose comparing a Mule to a 08 Teryx, the 07 Rhino we had, or a ranger is what Id like to find out. Ground clearance, ride, noise level, stuff like that. I am curious to the quality and durability of what I believe are the China made Chery engines. Any input would be great! Thanks much ;)
I’ve had my mule fxt eps LE for two seasons now. Stock ride height has been great. I just buried it in mud for the first time in Black River Falls. My only complaint would be acceleration and top speed. 49mph is a little low for me, 60mph would be great. Otherwise I’ve been through all types of terrain and it’s been a tank!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the single bench seat version (pro FX with EPS, seats 3 adults). It's got 28's and goes just about anywhere. It's big (wide), not real sporty, top end 48mph or so. Carries up half ton of crap (bags of concrete and gravel mostly) in the bed. In 3 yrs of ownership, I've had a $25 intake sensor go out, that's it. Width might be an issue, you should test drive one. I got the base model and added the power steering kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 pro fxt. Very problem oriented. We use it for light farm choirs and dirt road cruising. Two tuneups. 5 oil changes. Two recall trips. Emergency brakes don't hold well, Rough start and idle in Winter time. Failed fuel pump... $1100. Awaiting estimate, Now in shop with lost compression. I will not buy another Kawasaki.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Short trips in cold weather will eventually cause issues with any vehicle. The Mule 610s were a pain as the pulse line for the fuel pump would get flooded with condensation and a breather line between the valve cover and carb would freeze solid.

I love my Pro MX but I do get it good and warm in the winter before shutting it off

My father had issues with starting and idling with his 2018 Pro FX after accidentally dumping 3 or more gallons of diesel in it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts