Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im 13 and had saved up for 4 years to get my mojave that i got a little over a year ago. Ever since ive got this bike i loved it. I am of coarse a beginner rider but this was not my first bike. Ive had some issues with it but its a 93 and the guy who used it before me raced it so I expected some problams. Anyways it always smoked a little but wasent bad until about june. I still rode it but then the whole rear caliper assembly broke so i decided it was time for me to rebuild the top end. I had redone a whole bike with my dad (79 Honda Xl 75) but that was a while ago and my parents are devorced now so i would be pretty much all on my own (I could call my dad when i had a question but he coulden't acctully show me how to do it.) I have a manual so i thought i woulden't be able to screw anything up too bad. Within the first night i had the whole top end appart. So i call my dad and tell him we have to order rings and gaskets for it ( I do go over to his house every weekend). So we wait the 2 weeks for those to come in i put the rings on then the jug put the head on had everything but the cams in and im putting in the banjo bolt that go's into the head from the oil pipe (Remember 13 and on my own hear) Trying to torque it down to sepcs and it snaps off. Now im pissed because this is another 2 weeks for the new one to come in and im paying for all the parts by myself. Luckily when my dad came and picked me up he tapped it out for me then had to wait for the new one to come in. New one come's in i put eveything to together put all the fluids in kick it over to find that my torque wrench is screwed up and i over tightend the cam bering cap bolts and all off them broke off inside the head. Now i just feel stuiped because my dad has to save me again but big time. So we take the whole bike over to his house and we take the head of used the left handed drill bits he picked up and every single one of those bolts came out without even trying except for one. This one dodent break clean so we had to take a punch for the drill to catch. Well while my dad tried to do that the punch slipped and broke off a pice of the berring (Like father like son) so now we ordered a new head of ebay and after that comes in HOPEFULLY the rest goes good. Comment what you think thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I commend you for your efforts.At your age not many young lads as yourself would even dream of tackling this type of task. Everyone has their goofs from time to time. You learn from your mistakes. So the next time you'll be better at it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I commend you for your efforts.At your age not many young lads as yourself would even dream of tackling this type of task. Everyone has their goofs from time to time. You learn from your mistakes. So the next time you'll be better at it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

What he said.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I say congrats at trying. A real father would understand that the torque wrench was wrong and that isn't your fault. I guess you could ask for one of these from your mom for xmas but tell her to give you money so you and your dad can go get one of your liking...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my dad wasn't mad sorry if i made him sound bad. He's a great dad he understood and as for my mom giving me money even when things weren't tight we didn't have that kinda of money thats why i had to buy everything myself but i know she would if she could. Its sorta funny, yea i would like a running bike, it would be awesome if i had one that didn't need anything so i could have something that i could ride while working on this. but i wouldn't trade this thing for anything, its my baby. The weird thing is i love working on bikes as long as things go well. In fact thats sorta what i wana do in life. Go to wyotech and specilize in off road motorcycles and atvs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh i just realized you said torque wrench i actually was borrowing my dads but yea we won't use that one again we could afford a torque wrench i thought u were talking about a new quad lol

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
you're learning the right way

There's no better teacher, than "learning from mistakes"

take your time

you sound like a pretty cool kid

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you're learning the right way

There's no better teacher, than "learning from mistakes"

take your time

you sound like a pretty cool kid
Thanks ill keep everyone posted. Head should come in the 10th. Ill just post a new thread in the mojo section again when we get anything done.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
The weird thing is i love working on bikes as long as things go well. In fact thats sorta what i wana do in life. Go to wyotech and specilize in off road motorcycles and atvs.

A very good older friend of mine, who has wrenched on his own bikes his whole life, was telling me a story of things gone wrong in the garage this summer, and he summed it up by saying,

it doesn`t really matter, because being in the garage and working on the bike is mechanically orgasmic

and I commmend you for your efforts, that`s an accomplishment at your age, lessons you`ll not likely forget forever.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Yo MajaveKid, don't feel bad. I did the same thing to my V.
The cam bolts are torqued to INCH POUNDS. I torqued mine to foot pounds and snapped a few before I realized I was a dumazz.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
head came in today but don't go over to my dads for another week :mad: Oh and do i just adjust the valves after i get it all together and running or should i do it now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts