Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 02 Prairie 650..... The seals went out and started leaking oil bad. I was going to replace the seals but thought what the heck if im in there ill replace the bearings too. Went and got the All-Balls bearing kit and went at it. got everything apart then noticed i couldnt get the right axle nut off to release the hub. Grrrrr looks like someone used it to tighten down the bearing nut. Any way....... I am looking for ideas on how to get that thing to break loose and then is there a special way to get that bearing retainer nut thing off.
After reading my manual a little closer guess i should have just got the right cover and the axle according to them. May have to take it to the steelership and see if they can get it to let loose some how.
Tanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I couldnt get my axle lock nuts off either at first.But with a bunch of research i found out that with a lot of heat and a can of pb blaster, and a pipe wrench they will come lose. & i found out using map gas instead of propaine it works a lot better. So exaclty from 1st step to last is.... i heated the nuts up untill they were (Glowing Red) and i sprayed them with the pb blaster and then i took my pipe wrench and a hammer and while i held my axel from spinning, i pounded the wrench untill they came lose. But that was the only way i could get them to come off

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Impact wrench.

·
Super Moderator
12,507 Posts
Don't change the axle bearing unless it's known to be bad; it's not worth the bother.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im gussing your misunderstanding me. I cant figure out how to put the bearning house back in the swing arm on the rear axle. Cuz i know it has to go in a certin way so when tighten or losen the chain

·
Super Moderator
12,507 Posts
I'm still misunderstanding you. There's no chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts