Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm the original owner of a 2009 Brute Force 650i. This weekend I was out riding in 90 degree weather on a poker run. I felt burning on my arms and had oil spraying on me. It was from the rear diff out the vent line. I haven't changed the rear diff oil in ages sorry to say. Could that have been my problem? I'm changing the oil out this weekend, I opened up the fill plug and it's black and smells a little...

·
Super Moderator
4,812 Posts
Oil pushes out the vent tube for two main reasons. The first is that moisture or water has entered the cast and as it heats it turns to steam in the oil, and expands to be slung out the tube. Milky oil is a sign of this. The next reason is heat...extreme heat. This can be caused by extreemly old or low oil levels but it's not the primary cause for this level of heat. What it comes from the wet brake. And that's from two main reasons- one, the brake is set to tight or someone was riding with the parking brake engaged...and that happens a lot. And two- the pinion bearing retainer has come loose and backed off allowing the pinion to move enough to engage the friction plates of the wet brake. Remove the driveline and work the wheels back and forth while looking at the pinion for and movement in and out. Burned oil will look very dark and smell like burned clutch if the wet brake is involved. If it is, the brake is toast and will have to be replaced as well as the cause corrected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys. The oil hasn't been changed in forever. I'm hoping that's the cause of this not not something more serious. I really appreciate it

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the information guys. The oil hasn't been changed in forever. I'm hoping that's the cause of this not not something more serious. I really appreciate it
one way to find out if there is something serious...

while the atv rear end is lifted, turn the wheels, any noise?
drain fluid
turn wheel any noise? some noise may be ok at this point as the lack of fluid, but if its turning and you are feeling crunch or some binding, that would mean the diff needs attention.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wanted to post the outcome, I drained the oil out of the diff, put the rear up off the ground, rotated the tires with the fill plug open. There was not binding and the gear looked perfect. The oil was very black and old. Anyways I put fresh oil in both the front and rear diff and ran the hell out of it. She works perfectly. Lesson learned on staying up with oils changes. Thanks everyone for the help and advice

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts