Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a basketball goal for my backyard. Unfortunately, my driveway is too narrow for a b-ball court (and too many nearby windows too). So I'm planning to have a 30' x 30' concrete slab poured in my backyard...DANG concrete is expensive! :eek:

Anyway, I've been doing a little research for a good glass basketball goal and was curious if any of my KR brothers have a recommendation. The one I like so far is the Pro Dunk Gold (adjustable). Its pricey, but has plenty of good reviews... Pro Dunk® Gold Basketball Goal

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Mikeyboy, Ryan from Pro Dunk Hoops. I know you were probably looking for unbiased opinions from your fellow forum members but since nobody had chimed in I thought I'd share a few points of interest.

1) Adjustable lower and easier than other systems. The Pro Dunk Gold will adjust all the way down to 5 feet allowing the youngest competitors to get in on the action. Also, Pro Dunk systems have a unique dual spring lift-assist mechanism that makes height adjustment easy enough for a six year old child.

2) 30 to 50 percent heavier than competitors. We use more glass and steel than box-store brands delivering better performance and more durability.

3) We're active. As you can see with this post and our many reviews (highest customer rated basketball goal on the market) we listen to our customers and are constantly improving our hoops.

4) Best warranty in the industry covering the basketball goal bumper to bumper. We also cover all basketball play including dunking and hanging.

5) In the Houston area, you'll love the Rust Armor package as well. It upgrades your fasteners to stainless steel and we apply a zinc galvanization coating before putting the powder coat finish on top for the industry's best corrosion protection.

6) Our family owned and operated company has been designing the worlds finest in-ground outdoor basketball goals for over 29 years. We're not going anywhere if you should need any support down the road.

If you'd like installation, that's available in Conroe for $450.00. Give us a call to get on our schedule. If you're more of a D-I-Y kind of guy, about 30% of our customers do their own installation. I recommend taking a look at our installation video if you're interested.

Lastly, I used to take my 4-wheeler down Spring Creek with entry across the rail road tracks to the east of Old Town Spring. Is there still a way to do that?

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I too used to ride Spring Creek...good times indeed. Sadly, the 2 ATV parks that were once located along Spring Creek are no more (sold out). That being said, I don't know of any way to access the trails along S.C. legally. Its very sad b/c those trails were only 10 minutes from my current residence.

I'm leaning towards a Pro Dunk Gold at this time (or perhaps a Goalrilla 60" which appears to be better priced, but not quite up to the same quality as the Pro Dunk and Megaslam brands)...in any case, I'm still debating back and forth on doing the installation myself. I am a DIY kind of person, but don't have 2 additional adults nearby that can help me lift the heavy backboard into position.

Say, does your company offer any discounts to fellow ATVers like myself? I'll be happy to write up a good review on this and other ATV forums if I like your product (which I'm sure I will).

Anyone else have any opinions on a good b-ball goal?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's what I thought was the case with SC. About 30 minutes for me but well worth the drive.

No additional discounts on the Gold model unfortunately. We do have a $50.00 promo code available on Facebook when you like us if you'd like to upgrade to the Platinum which has a regulation sized backboard. That narrows the price difference to $200.00.

You'll definitely need two other guys to help you mount the backboard. Give us a call to get on the schedule if you'd like installation.

Where do you ride your ATV here locally?

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the info on the goals.

In Huntsville, there are 2 ATV parks; General Sams and Texas Offroad Ranch. In Crosby, there is 1 good park: Down South Offroad. The other one in Crosby is just for deep mudder ATVs and its called Mel's (might have changed names). In New Waverly, there are multi-use trails in the Sam Houston Nat'l Forest. Google them for more info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. Funny ... Huntsville, Crosby and New Waverly are all about an hour away.

"deep mudder ATVs and its called Mel's" <-- Maybe an excuse to get some new tires :)

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to help.

BTW, you will also need need snorkels if u go to Mel's...some folks ride in the river/ponds.

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ryan,
I think I've narrowed down my choices to either the Pro Dunk Gold or the Mega Slam 660 (both are 60" adjustable, in ground goals). The prices are very similar (including installation costs), and I'm thinking I can't go wrong with either one (both look very well-made/sturdy). The MS goal seems slightly more appealing b/c it has thicker pads and no "H" frame attached to the back of the backboard (IMO, the H frame on the Pro Dunk Gold is distracting/doesn't look as good). Do you have any thoughts as to why I should select the Pro Dunk Gold over the MS 660?

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1) Pro Dunk Hoops has been designing, manufacturing and selling heavy-duty basketball goals since 1984. Next year will be out 30 year anniversary ... yaaaa. Anyways, if you're looking for a company that has got experience, and will be there down the road should you need support, that's us. I believe MS is only a few years old.

2) Pro Dunk systems are a known quantity. There are over 900 verified customer reviews on Pro Dunk systems averaging 4.81 out of 5 stars. Pro Dunk is the highest rated system on the market.

3) Local support. We're just over in Tomball should you need anything.

The bracing is a bit subjective so it's hard as a sales person to say anything without sounding completely bias. In my opinion, it's not distracting. I'll leave it at that.

I'll cede the thicker padding. It's a nice touch and looks good on a spec sheet. Having said that, I've never injured myself by running into one of our padded poles. I think the 1" high density foam gets the job done.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.

PS - If you find the MS is less expensive, give me a call for a price match. 1-888-600-8545. We don't want to loose an order in our own town ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ryan,

Was great to meet you in person today. I look forward to getting the Pro Dunk Gold goal installed next week, and I plan to post lots of pics of the installed goal and a review so everyone can see how nice it is.

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mike,
This is a cool forum I never knew existed before. When I was younger I was a motocross junkie, and I only rode Kawasaki. I started on a KX80, then KX125, then KX250. My resume includes a broken wrist, broken collar bone twice (same exact spot 1 year apart), broken rib, and 2 concussions. I will never let me kids ride anything except a 4 wheel ATV now.

I am shopping for a basketball hoop for the March/April time frame in the next coming months for my kids. I am debating the Pro Dunk Gold and the Goalrilla CV60. Somehow this thread came up in my search. What started as a basketball hoop search has been sidetracked as I have spent the past 2 hours on here looking at used KFX models for sale. A KFX700 is now on my birthday list.

As I was researching Pro Dunk vs Goalrilla, the powder coating on the pro dunk has been mentioned a few times online. These are recent posts so I am not sure if it is something that happens over time, or if they made changes to their product since you purchased.

1. How is your hoop holding up?
2. If you were to buy today, would any of this sway you away from the Pro Dunk?

http://pro-dunk-hoops.pissedconsumer.com/pro-dunk-hoops-review-do-not-buy-from-them-20150518637829.html
http://www.amazon.com/review/RDRSMDJEF3U0G/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00RM5UMW2&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=3375251&store=sporting-goods

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's also the youtube video that really put down produnk:

Pro Dunk Hoops vs. Mega Slam Hoops Review and Comparison - YouTube - i cant post the link since i'm new

Would love to get everyone's opinion

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update.... I'm still happy with the PRO DUNK goal!

I've owned this PRO DUNK b-ball goal for almost 5 years now. I still enjoy it and have NO REGRETS about buying this goal. It is good quality and works great. I've had zero problems with it and the powder coating looks just like new. I have no idea if they changed this product since I purchased mine (around April 2013). For my model, I can easily adjust the goal height (for little kids) if I need to, but I rarely use that feature. I still use this b-ball goal frequently when the weather is not too wet or too hot (including today!). Unfortunately, I don't have lights on this b-ball court, so I can't use it at night. That sux b/c it would be great to play at night during the hot summer months.

If I had to do it over, I would have spent the extra money and bought the largest backboard size for this Pro Dunk goal. I bought the medium size backboard b/c I thought the large backboard would look funny on my 30' x 30' basketball surface. In hindsight, I think the large backboard would have looked ok and it would have given a bit more backboard surface to play on, but the medium size works just fine. The only other thing I'd do differently is that I'd make the concrete basketball surface at least 35' x 35'. My 30' x 30' concrete pad is ok, but I little more room to run around would be nice, especially on the sidelines. My 30' x 30' is not wide enough to shoot from the 3 pt. line. But it is long enough for the 3 pt. line near the top of the key and I like that. One thing I love about my b-ball court is that I painted the lines for the key/freethrow/3 pt. line. I repainted it about a year ago and it still holds up well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts