Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please tell me that theres a trick to getting the ball joints off the upper and lower arms?????

bout ready to pull out the blow torch

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just pop off the snap ring, and then thread them out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If only that easy. I popped out the snap ring (easy part) but it's like they are welded in there. Have used vice grips and all and nada.

·
Registered
255 Posts
they are very tight. You may need to find the correct size boxed end wrench, you will need a lot of leverage.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I bought a socket to take them

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I understand what you mean about nothing taking them off. I had to get kc6331 to cut a socket down to get mine off. Your gonna need a socket.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, I was racking my brain - really was about at the point of throwing them away and getting new ones. Im all better now. lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 'wrench' area is so small on the ball joints plus you have those welded on spindle stoppers for the upper arms. Most bolt heads are at least 1/4 of an inch, even low profile ones. The balljoints wrench area is under 1/8 of an inch. If you buy a socket unless you grind down the face it's not going to work. Most sockets has a tapered section in the front and the area to grab is too small it will just slip off. Cut the spindle stop tabs off with a cutting wheel then just heat it up around the threaded section and use a wrench or channel locks as a last resort.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Cutting the steering stops off is not always a good idea, just grind off a little bit so the socket will fit. Channel locks are definitely not the way to go.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got them off! used a center punch on each corner of the nut which broke the seal and allowed me to use a vice grip to get it the rest of the way.

For the life of me I cant get the damm nut off the axle, it's the last nut I need to get off in order to get the swing arm into the shop for chroming. Any ideas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Put the hubs and tires on, have someone hold the tires you should be able to break it loose.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been there but I'll keep trying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.