Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is involved in removing the engine brake on a p650?
i hate the thing at low speeds holding me back .

also is the brake motor the same as the 4wd actuator motor? if so and my 4wd motor is bad can i just swap the 2 motors out and make my 4wd work and get rid of the brake at the same time? or is that asking too much ? :lol:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
what is involved in removing the engine brake on a p650?
i hate the thing at low speeds holding me back .

also is the brake motor the same as the 4wd actuator motor? if so and my 4wd motor is bad can i just swap the 2 motors out and make my 4wd work and get rid of the brake at the same time? or is that asking too much ? :lol:
[/b]
go here
http://kod.gotdns.com/index.cgi?album=P650_Mods
the brake motor is differant the the 4x4 motor. if you test the 2 the potentiometer reading that tell the cdi what it is doing is set differant for both controlers

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
So.. if you just remove the KBEC actuator without the relay, the lights will flash... that's it? Will the 4x4 still work as normal, just won't be indicated? I've removed the fork in mine, the actuator is still there.... but I do hate to hear that thing when I shut the machine down... or come to a stop.. i get tired of people asking me what's wrong, what's that noise!!! :p

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
So.. if you just remove the KBEC actuator without the relay, the lights will flash... that's it? Will the 4x4 still work as normal, just won't be indicated? I've removed the fork in mine, the actuator is still there.... but I do hate to hear that thing when I shut the machine down... or come to a stop.. i get tired of people asking me what's wrong, what's that noise!!! :p
[/b]

That is correct JM. If you add the relay in my KEBC removal post, the 2wd/4wd indicator will work with the switch. If you add the DG6 module, the 2wd/4wd indicator will work ONCE the diff engages or disengages.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Cool.. It doesn't matter to me that the light will flash... Just as long a 4x4 still works.. I just hate the sound of that actuator!!! :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
same here, i just took the actuator fork out and it has been fine. The light does flash since that actuator is going bad so i just put electric tape over it and not problems.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man. great info. now i can send the motor back to the memberi got it from incase he needs it later. i will just use mine.

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
If your running with the fork removed,you should have the bearing removed from the clutch. They have come out on a few quads,it could do some damage if it does.
John removed mine and machined the lip that holds the bearing off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another alternative is to use a V-force belt cover. That is what i done. I put my KBEC back on after one ride in the mountains. I didn't like not having engine braking at all. It is an uncanny feeling to have to push on the gas to get engine braking on a very steep downhill grade.

I have a V-force cover I am thinking about selling now...

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
Pk gave me his custom yellow V cover :)

It's going back to black real soon..

I have the DG6 on mine and I realy like it. I don't miss all that noise coming from the the actuator but on some steep hills,I do miss the engine braking at times.

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
With fat butt on mine it can get a little :blink:
This is an easy one..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts