Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remove the front differential on a BF IRS. Looks very doable, will have to fab a bracket to support steering stem. Between differential drive shaft and axles (3) of them about 40-50 pound weight loss. Just a guess.
4x4 not needed for drags so was looking at going on a diet.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
To each his own I guess. I always ran faster in 4wd when I use to drag race the brute.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what others said also while running stock tires/wheels. You have to make up for it by going light weight in rotating mass. I'm running 14 lbs wheel and tire in front versus 23 or so stock.... makes a big difference.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's what others said also while running stock tires/wheels. You have to make up for it by going light weight in rotating mass. I'm running 14 lbs wheel and tire in front versus 23 or so stock.... makes a big difference.
what kind of tires are you running that are 14lbs?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bradley you are asking my secrets. Because you are the man. 23x10x12 skats triple buffed smoothly on Douglas custom 12X7 wheels. The wheels are 100 bucks each and weigh 5 lbs. Check with Recreation tires if they can get the wheels. triple buffs run 120 each

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not cheap as you can see. Use 4x4 23 lb. tires and you lose more than win. Spend 400 dollars and you win more than lose.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You could just use a junk differential, one that has been gutted. And get the spindles off a 2wd P360, or use junk axles.

Or buy a V Force like stated above. :p

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Tried it both ways several times ,and 4x4 is always the fastest pass for me anyways ..

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you tried it both ways with the stock knobby it was slower. Try it with a 8 lb. lighter set up per wheel. No way 4x4 was faster.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
WAY.......It was with a 2ply tire and lt weight rims ,at work now but have the weights at home on the rim/tire combo but it was faster

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would think that you would get alot more traction in 4WD than 2WD.This difference would probably make up the difference the lighter front end would give you.Also everyone that I talk to said the straight axle is better for launching than the independant rears so that is why the V is faster than alot of the brutes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts