Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just picked up some used rods from a brute force 750 for my v. The crankshaft journal is only messed up on the one side...rear cylinder. I have a machinist that says he can build that journal back up and turn it back down to factory specs. It was not messed up terribly. Would you let him try that or just go ahead and try to buy a new crank...by the way money is pretty tight right now as well! How do I know what rod bearings I need, I thought someone said they come in different color codes. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
If its an automotive type machine shop then its worth a try. If not I doubt he will be able to weld it up and keep the factory hardness of the metal.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
that's the same way strokers are done. so sure you can get the crank pin back to specs by welding and regrinding.

would it cost more than 289.00 to do this?? that's all a new crank is.

as far as the bearings go. it all depends on the diameter of the pin when back to spec. I think they are 40mm. not 100% sure on that. but there are .0002 differences in the cranks then you use the green or Brown bearings, just follow the manual for the specs. if it is standard. then you use Yellow.

Imo, buying a new crank is easier and if it did fail again if you reground it you are just going to be back to square one like you are now.

John

John

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
So if I was to take my engine apart and It had yellow rod bushings I would always replace with the same color code correct? Or are you saying that the other colors (green,brown) are for ware tolerance with them being .002 differences?

Also most of the brutes and KFX come from the factory with yellow bushings correct?

Reason I ask is because when I rebuilt my 07 650 it had yellow bushings from the factory. I'm building my kfx and I went ahead and bought yellow rod bushings without looking first. I have yet to tare into my engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts