Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went out two nights ago, and went through some mud. Not too deep, and definately not deeper than anything i've been through in the past, but this mud had a lot of plants and stuff growing in it, so when we came out after a few minutes of playing in it, underneath our fourwheelers there were pieces of plants and thin skinny roots hanging down.

Anyway, right after that we got onto a straightaway and i got up to 20mph or so, and noticed the handlebar started shaking wildly. I also noticed as i was slowing down (handles still shaking) that it was almost impossible to turn. Kind of the same feeling when you try to turn the wheels when you've got the front diff locked, you know. well i had a friend hit the gas hard in reverse on the sane just to make sure it was only spinning the back wheels, and it was, so it wasn't that 4wd was engaged. after i got back on, the bike was fine, and then occasionally throughout the night it would start shaking again, and i'd just slow down, then speed up and it would be fine. that night i power washed it down well, and put it back in the shed

well the next night (yesterday) i got it out and drove it to the gas station (about .5miles) to fill it with gas. it involves driving the entire distance on a paved road out of my neighborhood, and i usually drive it about 30mph. well about 500 feet into the journey, it starts shaking all over again. again, i slowed down, tried turning the wheel, and had trouble. came to a stop, got out, looked it over, and then started driving again, and it was fine. well halfway there again, it just starts all over again.

what do you think it could be? i looked it over and it's physically in great condition. there's nothing visibly wrong with it. it feels almost like the alignment is way off or something, but it only does it sometimes, not all the time.

someone at the park told me "there's mud on the inside of the rim". i initially thought he meant on the inside-facing side of the rim (as in, where the calipers and brake system is), so i sprayed it out with water when i got home and made sure there was no mud there.

what i think he meant though, is that mud somehow got INSIDE the rim... between rim and tire. that could definately affect the alignment if it all 'sloshes' to one side when i'm driving. could that be it? how would that happen though, and is there any way to confirm without taking the tire off?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
the first thing i thought of was the same, there is mud build up on the tires.wheels and causing the shaking. what size and kind of tire are you running?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a thought did you happen to bust a CV boot. I did this once and it didn't want to turn. What happened was the front axle came apart in the boot area and eventually just fell out on the trail. Could be that the CV joint are full of mud, dirt, and a rocks. If you have never seen inside of a CV joint it looks like the pic.

·
Registered
247 Posts
what i think he meant though, is that mud somehow got INSIDE the rim... between rim and tire. that could definately affect the alignment if it all 'sloshes' to one side when i'm driving. could that be it? how would that happen though, and is there any way to confirm without taking the tire off?
This happened to a bud of mine,he was playing in swamp grass and muskeg and toward the end of the ride the front end started shaking. We got back to my place and imeadiatly took the tire off and shook it.We could hear the water sloshing around in the tire and seen that the grass had wedged itself between the rim and tire bead causing water to enter.It was only a cup or so,but enough to affect the handling.
We lowered the pressure in the tire while tipping it valve down to let the water out , and with a blunt tip awl we worked the grass out(being carful not to pop the bead ).Filled the tire back up and away he went. *also check the other tires as well cause his had some grass in the other front wheel too,but no water. Hope this is what is happening to you ,and not something more serious.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stock tire and rim size, for the person that asked.

the CV boots all look in good condition, and sealed. i'm not sure even how i can remove them... how do i?

also, i don't see how it can be anything more serious, after driving through 15" of mud. if it is, then i think this is a ridiculous machine, and i don't want to think that, because i really like it so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i lifted the front end up, as was suggested (threw the winch cable over a tree branch and hoisted it up), and checked for play in the front wheels. there isn't any. i mean, the wheels will move like 1/2" either way, but i think that's normal... everything underneath seems to be nice and tight

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check this video out. i recorded ita few minutes ago

as i was recording it i noticed a hole in the front left CV boot.

note the reason the underside of it is so dirty is because i rode it for a little bit before winching it up the tree, to see if i could replicate the problem - i couldn't :/

after letting it down from the tree, i took it for a 10min drive at 25mph, and it ran just fine. no shaking.

QUESTION - first, how imperative is it that i replace this right now? can i get one or two more rides out of it? or will that damage it even more?
second, i don't have the tools to remove this (i watched a video how-to on how to remove it and clean the bearing, and i have no idea how to do it), so what's my next option? how much would the dealer charge to fix it? i can't afford a whole lot either :(

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
The joint is probably beyond saving; it's either starting to seize or getting ready to fall apart, and that's causing the shaking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another option. You might be able to find one from someone who upgraded and get one from them for $100 or so. Change the whole piece out your self without a dealer bill.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It might have mud in it that is binding but hasn't broken anything yet.You can buy a new boot and clean out the joint and replace the boot.There might be wear from the mud already but if money is an issue right now doing this will make it rideable until you can afford a new joint.If there is mud in it and you continue riding it it will break and might cause other damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts