Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else have or notice that almost every phillips screw on Kawasaki quads tend to strip so fast almost every screw I have loosened at least one of 2 would strip or almost strip I been replacing alot of them with allen screws and before I loosen anyone i use liqued wrench other wise they strip so fast is it me or anyone else have this problem ??

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
The problem is...and not everyone knows this..is that they are not standard Phillips. I know they look Phillips but they are a metric design called JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) Phillips. If you use a screwdriver that fits that taper/design, you will not strip them out any easier then the standard phillips you are used to. The tool kit they come with has the correct ones. Otherwise look for metric screwdriver sets with the JIS Phillips.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is...and not everyone knows this..is that they are not standard Phillips. I know they look Phillips but they are a metric design called JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) Phillips. If you use a screwdriver that fits that taper/design, you will not strip them out any easier then the standard phillips you are used to. The tool kit they come with has the correct ones. Otherwise look for metric screwdriver sets with the JIS Phillips.
Yes i just ordered 2 bits from Motion on amazon that are made for JIS ! I kept saying whats going here i used craftsman screw drivers and just stripped 1 out of every 2 i worked on so frustrating but again like u say its such a similar look very hard to tell

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
Th

ats what I was told I just ordered a set of JIS tips from amazon verg inexpensive and will prob save me hours of work with the dremel tool cutting slots in stripped screws lol
Might still get the ones that are F'ed-up with the new drivers...maybe not. At least the rest won't strip-out.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
279 Posts
I've found if i take a hammer and tap the Phillips end into the JIS, they won't cam out as often.... I do need to invest in a JIS set tho.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's good to know. I had no idea. Guess I better order me some, I have a good handful of Kawasaki toys haha
By eye no way to tell untill you put a phillips head in a strip it lol I had to loosen some screws on my Lakotta yesterday and was so nice to not strip the screws with the new tip I cant even begin to tell you how many I had to cut with a dermal to get them out after stripping them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts