Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 650 that has an issue with the secondary clutch. I am trying to figure out what this part is called that is loose on the inside of the sheave. This piece is loose and rattles around when I shake the secondary. When it’s on the quad that I put a new belt on it sure makes a lot of noise. I have ruled out the primary completely, that sounds great. The transmission shaft spins freely and no noise. The noise has to be coming out do this. I see no way to adjust it or tighten it. Is the the issue people talk about with these secondaries? What should I do for a replacement? Thank you for your thoughts!

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Just the sleeve or bushing for the helix drum/spindle. It should fit without too much side play and the seals should seal to the spindle as well. They hold the grease in. In this video, this guy's is in need to a new sleeve and seals...bad. Also the spindle is warn and scared as well as the helix slides and groves. Really this clutch needs replaced. But the sheaves are still OK so he's going to use it a while longer. That usually won't make any noise...especially once the belt has tension. Now the primary with loose or warn shoes will bang like hell...sounds like loose rods sometimes at or near idle.

Video not available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the sleeve or bushing for the helix drum/spindle. It should fit without too much side play and the seals should seal to the spindle as well. They hold the grease in. In this video, this guy's is in need to a new sleeve and seals...bad. Also the spindle is warn and scared as well as the helix slides and groves. Really this clutch needs replaced. But the sheaves are still OK so he's going to use it a while longer. That usually won't make any noise...especially once the belt has tension. Now the primary with loose or warn shoes will bang like hell...sounds like loose rods sometimes at or near idle.

Thanks for the reply If I grab that ring you see me holding it wobbles side to side and forward and backward. This piece it what fits against the shims on the inside of the other sheeve.

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
The chart says it won't fit but it probably will. Problem with buying old used clutches on ebay is...you can't inspect them and know the extent of the wear. On this one the spring rate will be different then yours and may be some helix angle differences...but it may work. Lets see if someone else chimes in that has done it...or knows for sure it will work.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not according to a parts search. Driven converter for an '02 650 is 49093-1072. For an '05 750 its 49093-0014. Like Nm said, it still might fit butthe spring rates are probably different

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
There are slight differences in different years and models of the clutches. The '02 650 being the most different. It had shorter weight pins in the primary and didn't have as good of seals in the secondary. And springs were different in the 650, 700, and 750.
I ran an '02 650 primary for awhile on my 700, and I have 750 clutches on it now. They all go on, but they have little differences. For a complete answer, talk to VFJ. He is THE clutch guy. He works on them all, everyday.

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
All V-twin secondary clutches will fit. The clutches had an upgrade after 2002, but nothing that affects fitment.

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your input, I have ordered a known good one off powersports nation will be here hopefully by next Friday and I will post if it fixed my issue!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts