Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im helping a friend shim his belt and for the life of me, i cant get the secondary off at all!!!!!!!!!! i have hit it with a rubber mallet and a 4lb sledge and it wont slide off??? whats the best way to get it off without busting something off? ive never had one stuck like this and to be honest this bike only has 1700 miles on it and is in awesome shape. this is the second 650 brute ive had trouble with the clutches not wanting to come off. the first one was the primary clutch a few years ago and now this one..... any suggestions?:mad:

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
It must have some rust on the shaft; maybe some penetrating fluid and time would help.
A slide hammer would be the best tool to get that off.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It must have some rust on the shaft; maybe some penetrating fluid and time would help.
A slide hammer would be the best tool to get that off.
agree 100% with the rust and the penetrating oil!!
self had that issue when pulling the secondary off my V a few months ago!!
cant remember how I got it off though

any case,when I did put it back, I put some coperslip(spelling) grease on he secondary shaft, to make sure next time wont have the same issue!!!

PRIMARY MUST BE DRY GREASE/OIL FREE

however secondary can take some grease, to prevent it ceasing up again!!

think I pulled on it and tapped gently with a kinetic malled to vibrate it loose!!

wish I could remember exactly how I tool my secondary off, just remember I also had an issue!!

if I remember will post!!

good luck!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
most of us on here have them off at least 2 times a week so we never have time to rust on.lol Tried alot of different springs. Good luck and try not to break it.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i sprayed some parts cleaner on it... my can of penetrating oil must of fell and ive lost the cap off the top.. (just my luck). this clutch has never been off the bike. the primary was spotless. i figured it would just slide right off there. the splines dont look to be bugar'd in anyway either. im going to pick up another can of penetrating oil tomorrow morning and give it another try...
dont have the slide hammer in my arsenal but i might look for one tomorrow at autozone when im out... thanks for the help fellas..:D

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
If you have a pneumatic hammer, put a flat tip attachment on it and hit the clutch for a couple of seconds just outside the hole. A quick "BRAPPP" will sometimes break it loose.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
So how did you end up getting it off? I am having the same problem on my orange V right now. I was going to set the belt deflection for a dune ride tomorrow but ended up just putting the nut back on. I am going to have ride it the way it is tomorrow. I didn't want to break something and have TWO quads down for the count.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
3 Jaw puller is what I have used for every machine I've messed with

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Don't the jaws dig into & damage the aluminum? How big of a 3-jaw puller?

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Haven't had to use an impact, just a 1/2 Ratchet
It doesn't take much effort to get them off, or hasn't in the dozen or so I have done.

I use the biggest one I have available, I think its a 3 ton??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts