Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

Registered
A grand more for half the machine.馃榿

I wouldn't get the Po if it were $5000 less.
I know the Polaris, and even the Can Am have gotten bad raps over the years but they are fairly solid bikes now. The Brute has always been a solid bike, albeit I am not a fan of the front diff design (personal battle there). However, where I live, the Sportsmans, Renegades and, Outlanders dominate the parks and they get some nasty abuse. Guys I have talked to said they favor those bikes because of setup over the Brutes. Cannot argue there. There are few Brutes out there but not many. My posse is made up of my 2013 Brute, 2018 Sportsman 1000XP HighLifter, and 2017 Outlander 1000R. Mine has been the most "reliable" but I come back with the most plastic broken, every time. Those guys can definitely hog through more than I can. The Brute very well at extraction for those other bikes though! :ROFLMAO:

Registered
A grand more for half the machine.馃榿

I wouldn't get the Po if it were $5000 less.

This guy from two weeks ago was probably thinking the same thing.馃槅
He had a 30 mile tow ride in some of the dustiest conditions I've ever seen. The "north star" on his grille was not shining so brightly by the time he got back to his truck.
View attachment 75394
Haha oh man you had me on that one a grand for half the machine. I was thinking it wouldnt last even half as long as a brute. Youd get a few rides out of it then sombody will be towing you back and youll be getting rid of it And I couldn't imagine a 30 mile tow on the trails and where we ride that would take all day

Reactions: kickstart

Registered
I know the Polaris, and even the Can Am have gotten bad raps over the years but they are fairly solid bikes now. The Brute has always been a solid bike, albeit I am not a fan of the front diff design (personal battle there). However, where I live, the Sportsmans, Renegades and, Outlanders dominate the parks and they get some nasty abuse. Guys I have talked to said they favor those bikes because of setup over the Brutes. Cannot argue there. There are few Brutes out there but not many. My posse is made up of my 2013 Brute, 2018 Sportsman 1000XP HighLifter, and 2017 Outlander 1000R. Mine has been the most "reliable" but I come back with the most plastic broken, every time. Those guys can definitely hog through more than I can. The Brute very well at extraction for those other bikes though! :ROFLMAO:
A lot of people buy the Can Am and the Po because they have 1000cc engines, and they don't have a clue about anything else. If TaoTao of China came out with a 1200cc tomorrow, a lot of those guys would trade in their machines to get one, never caring a bit that everything around the motor was garbage.
As for newer Pos being better....not so much my experience. I know four people with 2018+ that have had fuel pumps go bad, gauges fail, suspension parts break, and one even had a spun bearing. All of these had under 3000 miles!
In our club rides, we've had as many as three RZRs go down in one day. And we have only had a couple rides in the last three years where there wasn't at least one Po that went down.
That photo above is from our most recent ride two weeks ago. We had this one Sportsman crap out, and we had 3 Arctic Cats crap out. One had to be abandoned and retrieved by truck because it couldn't even be towed.
Even a die hard Polaris fan who is a moderator over at the Polaris forum literally told everyone to trade in their machines when they get around 3000 miles. 3000 miles!! That wouldn't even last me one frickin' year! And he's since sold his General and bought a Kawasaki KRX1000. Go figure.....
Aside from the maintenance and repair issues Polaris have, you'd have to deal with their systems to truly enjoy one. They have automatic lockers, but manual descent control! How f***ed up is that?!! Not to mention they are land whales tipping the scales at half a ton, and that god awful, john deere shift lever that looks like junk and hits you in the kneecap. Then there's the gas cap under the frickin' handlebars (I'd really like to hunt down and waterboard the bastard engineer that came up with that one), plastic cheese whizz racks, and a belt that you have to remove the wheel to get to! And let's not forget a couple dozen grease zerks you can't reach. And how can we talk about Polaris without pointing out all the ones that catch fire and kill people.
Shall I go on?馃槅
(Yes, you can tell I've had too many rides spoiled by the damn things).馃槈

Registered
I was thinking it wouldnt last even half as long as a brute.
You're right, and they will cost a lot more to fix all the issues despite the fewer miles. It's a lose/lose situation.

Registered
A lot of people buy the Can Am and the Po because they have 1000cc engines, and they don't have a clue about anything else. If TaoTao of China came out with a 1200cc tomorrow, a lot of those guys would trade in their machines to get one, never caring a bit that everything around the motor was garbage.
As for newer Pos being better....not so much my experience. I know four people with 2018+ that have had fuel pumps go bad, gauges fail, suspension parts break, and one even had a spun bearing. All of these had under 3000 miles!
In our club rides, we've had as many as three RZRs go down in one day. And we have only had a couple rides in the last three years where there wasn't at least one Po that went down.
That photo above is from our most recent ride two weeks ago. We had this one Sportsman crap out, and we had 3 Arctic Cats crap out. One had to be abandoned and retrieved by truck because it couldn't even be towed.
Even a die hard Polaris fan who is a moderator over at the Polaris forum literally told everyone to trade in their machines when they get around 3000 miles. 3000 miles!! That wouldn't even last me one frickin' year! And he's since sold his General and bought a Kawasaki KRX1000. Go figure.....
Aside from the maintenance and repair issues Polaris have, you'd have to deal with their systems to truly enjoy one. They have automatic lockers, but manual descent control! How f***ed up is that?!! Not to mention they are land whales tipping the scales at half a ton, and that god awful, john deere shift lever that looks like junk and hits you in the kneecap. Then there's the gas cap under the frickin' handlebars (I'd really like to hunt down and waterboard the bastard engineer that came up with that one), plastic cheese whizz racks, and a belt that you have to remove the wheel to get to! And let's not forget a couple dozen grease zerks you can't reach. And how can we talk about Polaris without pointing out all the ones that catch fire and kill people.
Shall I go on?馃槅
(Yes, you can tell I've had too many rides spoiled by the damn things).馃槈
Right and I think thats exactly why they buy them. Id never buy a polaris and canam dosnt make anything that peeks my intrest. I rode an outlander 1000 a few weeks ago and I can I was not impressed at all. I was kinda like this is it ? There really isnt anything special about them. I think people are just paying for the name. The parts are expensive as hell and from what ive heard they are a bitch to work on And the plastic racks also just like polaris

Registered
Right and I think thats exactly why they buy them. Id never buy a polaris and canam dosnt make anything that peeks my intrest. I rode an outlander 1000 a few weeks ago and I can I was not impressed at all. I was kinda like this is it ? There really isnt anything special about them. I think people are just paying for the name. The parts are expensive as hell and from what ive heard they are a bitch to work on And the plastic racks also just like polaris
Yeah, exactly.
There's only been one Can Am that made me get out my checkbook, and that was the 2011 XxC Outlander.
It was built on the smaller and lighter frame, had the 800R Rotax engine, two brake levers, steel racks, smaller bumper, and it was a freaking rocket. But the 2010 overheated all the time, and the 2012 was a completely different machine. So there's just literally one model I loved.

Registered
Yeah, exactly.
There's only been one Can Am that made me get out my checkbook, and that was the 2011 XxC Outlander.
It was built on the smaller and lighter frame, had the 800R Rotax engine, two brake levers, steel racks, smaller bumper, and it was a freaking rocket. But the 2010 overheated all the time, and the 2012 was a completely different machine. So there's just literally one model I loved.
Theres not even one model they make that im intrested in. The one brake lever is rediculous and lets not forget that they are only 3 wheel drive. Feel bad for people that have to buy that torque locker after spending how much buying the machine. how about their xmr thing looks like a limo all stretched out.

Super Moderator
Yeah, exactly.
Funny you should say that as I too have a thing for the 2011 Xxc..because of its size and weight and I too would pull my checkbook out for a decent one. I got to ride one at the dealer lot back then and it just hooked me..loved it.

Registered
Funny you should say that as I too have a thing for the 2011 Xxc..because of its size and weight and I too would pull my checkbook out for a decent one. I got to ride one at the dealer lot back then and it just hooked me..loved it.
That's awesome.馃檪
I actually found one at a dealer not ten miles from my house back in 2012. Went in to look at the new 2012's and saw this 2011 XXC over in the corner collecting dust with a great price tag on it. I couldn't believe my eyes. I went straight to the bank to get the money out, and when I got back to the dealership, they had closed already. It was only like 3:30 PM on a Friday. So Monday morning, I ducked work and headed back over there, first thing. I was absolutely shocked to see the doors were still closed, and when I looked inside, I was blown away. They had completely emptied the whole place over the weekend and were out of business! I found the owner's number online and called him. He didn't answer his phone until mid week, and said he sold his whole inventory to a new dealer 20 miles away on the other side of the valley. I raced over to the new place as fast as I could and met the owner just as he was getting out of his truck and heading to the door. I asked him where the 2011 XXC was he got from Alpine, and he flatly replied that he just put it on a truck bound for Denver. Somebody out there bought my XXC online and had it shipped asap. 馃槸馃が馃槶
I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Registered
Well, all these reasons you guys pointed out just substantiated the OPs plight for why Brutes are EXACTLY the same now as they were 10yrs ago!! They don't NEED to change them! We just wish they would add some creature comforts and cool stuff to them!! LMAO! I have not had the breakdown experiences with the others like you guys have. I have pulled them out the mud a lot. I do agree that plastic rack crap is annoying to mount ANYTHING on. My podnuhs Sportsman had a starter issue and battery cable tightness issues. Also replaced one fan motor. The Can Am podnuh got that 1000R for $1800. Put an XMR diff in the back, wheel bearings, and one or two other things. Bike is solid so far.

I had to do wheel bearings this last go around. I had to rebuild my front diff as well change seals several times. Front diff still gets water in it, but I think I narrowed it down (see other post). Had the fan relay issues, the limp mode freak out due to belt actuator, and one of my ( I hate this) proprietary headlight bulbs is out. Oh that is annoying! Otherwise, the plastic on the front is being held together by ingenuity and tie wraps!

Registered
Well, all these reasons you guys pointed out just substantiated the OPs plight for why Brutes are EXACTLY the same now as they were 10yrs ago!! They don't NEED to change them! We just wish they would add some creature comforts and cool stuff to them!! LMAO! I have not had the breakdown experiences with the others like you guys have. I have pulled them out the mud a lot. I do agree that plastic rack crap is annoying to mount ANYTHING on. My podnuhs Sportsman had a starter issue and battery cable tightness issues. Also replaced one fan motor. The Can Am podnuh got that 1000R for $1800. Put an XMR diff in the back, wheel bearings, and one or two other things. Bike is solid so far.

I had to do wheel bearings this last go around. I had to rebuild my front diff as well change seals several times. Front diff still gets water in it, but I think I narrowed it down (see other post). Had the fan relay issues, the limp mode freak out due to belt actuator, and one of my ( I hate this) proprietary headlight bulbs is out. Oh that is annoying! Otherwise, the plastic on the front is being held together by ingenuity and tie wraps!
I had the bad valves and wrong seats. That was my biggest complaint. But still, other than that, I've spent less than $300 fixing Kawasaki issues in over 22,000 miles. Never had to touch the front diff (knock on wood), but I don't ride in mud bogs either.

All bikes have quirks. But I don't mind the Kawie quirks. Stiffer ride, bad gas mileage, leaking seals, oil burning. Those are pretty easy to deal with. I'm just glad they got the damn valve issue fixed. And in 22,000 miles, I never had to be towed, never had to walk out, and never had a second thought about going out 150 miles in the middle of nowhere by myself.
Definitely can't say that about Polaris. If I owned a Polaris by some miracle, I'd never ride alone. Ever.

Registered
I had the bad valves and wrong seats. That was my biggest complaint. But still, other than that, I've spent less than $300 fixing Kawasaki issues in over 22,000 miles. Never had to touch the front diff (knock on wood), but I don't ride in mud bogs either.

All bikes have quirks. But I don't mind the Kawie quirks. Stiffer ride, bad gas mileage, leaking seals, oil burning. Those are pretty easy to deal with. I'm just glad they got the damn valve issue fixed. And in 22,000 miles, I never had to be towed, never had to walk out, and never had a second thought about going out 150 miles in the middle of nowhere by myself.
Definitely can't say that about Polaris. If I owned a Polaris by some miracle, I'd never ride alone. Ever.

Damn, 22k miles!! :oops: Thats barely less than my truck. LOL, I think I have like 1k miles (320hrs) on my Brute. I am guessing you guys do a lot of country riding! I don't think there is any stretch of land here where I can go 150 miles without having to be on public streets, or interstates for that matter. :)

Registered
Damn, 22k miles!! :oops: Thats barely less than my truck. LOL, I think I have like 1k miles (320hrs) on my Brute. I am guessing you guys do a lot of country riding! I don't think there is any stretch of land here where I can go 150 miles without having to be on public streets, or interstates for that matter. :)
Yep, we are lucky here. We have endless trails. You can ride deserts, mountains, prairies, dunes, and even groomed snowmobile tracks. And 99% of it is free.
We don't have much flooded timber, or lots of mud. Though what mud we do have can be super sticky, bentonite clay that sucks your boots off and jams up your wheels. I only ride in that crap when it can't be avoided.
I don't think I recall ever seeing an ATV here with a rad relocate or snorkels in the 37 years I've been riding ATVs here.馃槸
We do have guys that build specialty sand machines, and never do anything else.
But most folks with ATVs here are trail riders, hunters/fishermen, geocachers, or farmers.
Lots of our counties allow ATVs to be ridden in town without being street legalized. You can ride one system, drop into the next valley, fill up your tank, grab a burger at the drivethru at McDonald's, and then head on up and over the next mountain range.
If you do street legalize your machine, you can drive it right up to the Capitol Building in Salt Lake City, just so long as you stay off the interstates to get there!馃檪

Registered
Yep, we are lucky here. We have endless trails. You can ride deserts, mountains, prairies, dunes, and even groomed snowmobile tracks. And 99% of it is free.
We don't have much flooded timber, or lots of mud. Though what mud we do have can be super sticky, bentonite clay that sucks your boots off and jams up your wheels. I only ride in that crap when it can't be avoided.
I don't think I recall ever seeing an ATV here with a rad relocate or snorkels in the 37 years I've been riding ATVs here.馃槸
We do have guys that build specialty sand machines, and never do anything else.
But most folks with ATVs here are trail riders, hunters/fishermen, geocachers, or farmers.
Lots of our counties allow ATVs to be ridden in town without being street legalized. You can ride one system, drop into the next valley, fill up your tank, grab a burger at the drivethru at McDonald's, and then head on up and over the next mountain range.
If you do street legalize your machine, you can drive it right up to the Capitol Building in Salt Lake City, just so long as you stay off the interstates to get there!馃檪

Thats pretty amazing! Over here, you get out on a public street and the pull you over, its like a $300 ticket. I ride my daughter around the neighborhood at times but that's as far as we take it. :)

Registered
Thats pretty amazing! Over here, you get out on a public street and the pull you over, its like a $300 ticket. I ride my daughter around the neighborhood at times but that's as far as we take it. :)
Ouch! $300 bucks is a bit steep. Where do you live?

Registered
Ouch! $300 bucks is a bit steep. Where do you live?
I heard its 25 around here but never been caught. Every now and then ill take it around the block I live out in the country its all farmland we dont see our cops to often

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
I'm not a fan of Polaris but they are very innovative and I can see why people like them.
Here where I live the Forest Service that maintains the Paiute Trial has bought nothing but Polaris 570s for the last several years.
Bryan says they are literally trouble free and get great gas mileage.
He has some Honda's that are a few years old and they have been somewhat problematic.
They do like their Honda Pioneers over their RZRs for just about every reason you can think of.

This was my 2012 Polaris 550 Touring. Its a 2-up machine.

I was a grounds keeper at a resort and I loved this little trunk that replaced the passengers seat.
I could carry my chlorine residual testing kit and several other small tools in there. It was perfect for my job at the resort.

2-ups are awesome due to just a few extra inches in the length of the wheel base.

If Kawasaki made something like this my next ATV would be a no brainer but all Kawasaki ever does is change colors and I'm not so sure that I would want to spend $10-11,000 for the same thing that I already have.

I wish that they would step it up a notch. :rolleyes:

Registered
Polaris 570s for the last several years.
Bryan says they are literally trouble free.

2-ups are awesome due to just a few extra inches in the length of the wheel base.
The Po on a tow in my pic was a 570. Stator crapped out halfway through the ride and wouldn't charge the battery enough to run the power steering or the fuel injection.
Bike had less than 2500 miles on it.

Extra length of 2 ups is good in some situations, and bad in others. I've ridden a 2 up once, and I couldn't wait to get off it. Three point turns and break over angles drove me nuts. Felt more like a SxS than an Atv.

Registered
The Po on a tow in my pic was a 570. Stator crapped out halfway through the ride and wouldn't charge the battery enough to run the power steering or the fuel injection.
Bike had less than 2500 miles on it.

Extra length of 2 ups is good in some situations, and bad in others. I've ridden a 2 up once, and I couldn't wait to get off it. Three point turns and break over angles drove me nuts.
I couldnt imagine owning a 2 up they are like limos. I rarely have a passanger and I prefer to be by myself I had my gf on the back with me a few times on the trails and its ok if im going slow but for the most part its a pain in the ass and I dont really like the added extra weight. Turning isnt very good at low speed and technical stuff with the extra weight as well

Registered
I couldnt imagine owning a 2 up they are like limos. I rarely have a passanger and I prefer to be by myself I had my gf on the back with me a few times on the trails and its ok if im going slow but for the most part its a pain in the ass and I dont really like the added extra weight. Turning isnt very good at low speed and technical stuff with the extra weight as well
I agree.
I let a gf drive my Zuki once with me on the back.....won't ever do that again! She had us upside down with the quad on top of us in less than five minutes.馃槀

21 - 40 of 73 Posts