Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Damn $6000 is crazy! There are a few here or there in WI that can be had for $7500 but nothing close to $6000
Yep it was a crazy deal. I’m sure it was a demo model or the very last one they planned to have in inventory and just wanted it gone. I put mine up for sale but didn’t feel right about selling it with the transmission issue it had, even with full disclosure about the issue, so I took the post down and didn’t buy the other one. Now I’ve got a very well built engine and the bike runs amazing. Just got an itch for a new bike for some reason.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The only things it has over the other brands are weight, reliability and its easy to work on
I would add to that list a better 4wd system, a better locker, a better clutch (especially the helix), better racks, better brakes with independent levers, longer lasting brakes, a better airbox with dirt cheap replacement filters, and better low end power.
I also personally like the gauge pod placement better on the Brute.

Reactions: Swanny52 and dman66

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would add to that list a better 4wd system, a better locker, a better clutch (especially the helix), better racks, better brakes with independent levers, longer lasting brakes, a better airbox with dirt cheap replacement filters, and better low end power.
I also personally like the gauge pod placement better on the Brute.
I would have to agree with all but...
Better Locker: That clutch pack style system is not a very good system. Mine has barely worked since it was new. When I rebuilt the diff I disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt the entire clutch pack. Tightened up the cable lever to get more pull, and it still barely works. Polaris has better locking ability in the front diff with the "pressure roller" style locker, with less parts, IMO.
Better brakes, yes, longer lasting, only the rear being a wet brake. I barely ever use the front brakes on mine and they wear out quickly. Pads are too thin from factory. The others that I have worked on (Polaris, Can AM, etc.) used to be crappy. I think they have gotten better but not sure how good.

Overall, the Brute has been the most reliable and best all around platform. Just would like to see some more strengthening accessories. Something to protect the plastics a little better. That is the part that is my biggest gripe. Using this thing in the woods (or mudding what I use it for) tears up the plastic every time.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I would have to agree with all but...
Better Locker: That clutch pack style system is not a very good system. Mine has barely worked since it was new. When I rebuilt the diff I disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt the entire clutch pack. Tightened up the cable lever to get more pull, and it still barely works. Polaris has better locking ability in the front diff with the "pressure roller" style locker, with less parts, IMO.
Better brakes, yes, longer lasting, only the rear being a wet brake. I barely ever use the front brakes on mine and they wear out quickly. Pads are too thin from factory. The others that I have worked on (Polaris, Can AM, etc.) used to be crappy. I think they have gotten better but not sure how good.

Overall, the Brute has been the most reliable and best all around platform. Just would like to see some more strengthening accessories. Something to protect the plastics a little better. That is the part that is my biggest gripe. Using this thing in the woods (or mudding what I use it for) tears up the plastic every time.
Sorry to hear you have a bad locker. Mine's worked flawlessly for almost 23,000 miles. All I've ever had to do was change the oil and adjust the locker cable when I replaced the steering stem bearing.
I love the quickness of Kawie's locker. On/off at any speed and no limiters or sensors. Best of all, it locks when I want it to, and unlocks when I want it to. You don't get that with either the Can Am or the Polaris.
Can Am's locker is a pressure plate filled with toothpaste, and Polaris is essentially a Hilliard pressure clutch with sensors if its ADC equipped. Both of them require wheel spin before they engage. And both require you to hit obstacles with throttle applied making it difficult to feather through tough spots.

As for brakes, you've obviously not heard about all the issues Can Am had with brake pads wearing out in under 1000 miles when they went to the G2 frame. And I guess you've never been around a Can Am with a squeaky rear inboard disc. It'll damn near drive you crazy from 50 yards away!
And you're the first I've ever heard complain about Brute brake pads. I'm still on my factory pads at almost 23,000 miles, and I even disengaged my KEBC like 12,000 miles ago.
Also never had to touch the rear brakes either. And you can drag the rear brakes for miles and they never fade or overheat.

Reactions: Swanny52

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Yep it was a crazy deal. I’m sure it was a demo model or the very last one they planned to have in inventory and just wanted it gone. I put mine up for sale but didn’t feel right about selling it with the transmission issue it had, even with full disclosure about the issue, so I took the post down and didn’t buy the other one. Now I’ve got a very well built engine and the bike runs amazing. Just got an itch for a new bike for some reason.
Im gonna try and get my trans fixed again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Definitely agree with above wish there was more aftermarket options for brutes, bumpers, some sort of LinQ system. The clutches seem to work fine but the setup I think is stupid compared a can am. Can am secondary nice to have the easy way to spread it to change belt, and the way the shims are set up in the brute secondary is dumb. Can am primary also super easy to pop off and change weights and springs, and kebc fork setup is strange.... Maintenance on the brute is awesome, I like the low maintenance of the wet brake, but still getting used to it, it never feels like it works that great. Brute 750 motor is awesome , love how it sounds.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
That clutch pack style system is not a very good system. Mine has barely worked since it was new. When I rebuilt the diff I disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt the entire clutch pack. Tightened up the cable lever to get more pull, and it still barely works.
Mine doesn't "lock" the front axles either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine doesn't "lock" the front axles either.
Like I said, mine is marginal at best. With the stock tires I probably noticed it working a little more because both tires had no traction anyway but with these Silverbacks, I have never seen it make a hill of beans difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear you have a bad locker. Mine's worked flawlessly for almost 23,000 miles. All I've ever had to do was change the oil and adjust the locker cable when I replaced the steering stem bearing.
I love the quickness of Kawie's locker. On/off at any speed and no limiters or sensors. Best of all, it locks when I want it to, and unlocks when I want it to. You don't get that with either the Can Am or the Polaris.
Can Am's locker is a pressure plate filled with toothpaste, and Polaris is essentially a Hilliard pressure clutch with sensors if its ADC equipped. Both of them require wheel spin before they engage. And both require you to hit obstacles with throttle applied making it difficult to feather through tough spots.

As for brakes, you've obviously not heard about all the issues Can Am had with brake pads wearing out in under 1000 miles when they went to the G2 frame. And I guess you've never been around a Can Am with a squeaky rear inboard disc. It'll damn near drive you crazy from 50 yards away!
And you're the first I've ever heard complain about Brute brake pads. I'm still on my factory pads at almost 23,000 miles, and I even disengaged my KEBC like 12,000 miles ago.
Also never had to touch the rear brakes either. And you can drag the rear brakes for miles and they never fade or overheat.
We certainly have two differently operating machines!! LOL. You are correct, I havent personally experienced any issues with Can Am brakes but to be fair, I do not have a hell of a lot of time around them either. We will see how my podnuhs bike holds up.
The item you listed about feathering through a hole, that I HAVE heard on the Polaris so valid point there.
I really do not get why my front brakes wear out so quick. Like I said, I rarely use them and they are not dragging. The calipers move freely and the wheels turn fine. The pads, like I stated above, are a bit on the thin side even new. So that may be part of it.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The clutches seem to work fine but the setup I think is stupid compared a can am. Can am secondary nice to have the easy way to spread it to change belt, and the way the shims are set up in the brute secondary is dumb. Can am primary also super easy to pop off and change weights and springs, and kebc fork setup is strange....
I agree with that. I wish Kawie had a spreader bolt for fast belt changes, and they could make the adjustment easier.
But Can Am clutches are not very smooth, and are known for slamming belts. The 1000 was especially jarring to me. I'm used to a Kawie clutch that can literally be controlled inch by inch from idle. The CA can jump and make a loud bang as it engages. So can Polaris.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Like I said, mine is marginal at best. With the stock tires I probably noticed it working a little more because both tires had no traction anyway but with these Silverbacks, I have never seen it make a hill of beans difference.
Have you guys tried to adjust your cable a bit tighter? If it's backed off too much, it won't lock all the way.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My front locker seems to work fine but I have replaced the front brakes twice. Not being able to spread the secondary to change the belt sucks, it can be done without pulling the primary but its not easy. I'm not a mud rider so luckily I've never blown a belt and I've only changed it once just as a precaution. As far as low end trq on a stock motor set up it could use a bit more. My brother has a 2007 650sra with just over 2k miles and I don't think hes ever changed the oil just put gas in it. It runs just like the first day he brought it home.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I've had a like/hate (never a love) relationship with that little yellow lever ever since I first bought it.
I don't need more power but wouldn't turn it down.
My friends Can Am 800 Max out performs my BF in lots of different places, especially sand.
My BFs gas mileage sucks big time.
Changing the belt sucks.
I have never replaced the front brakes but then I don't use them much.
Its only left me stranded a few times.

What's best for one person doesn't make it the best for someone else.

Over all I'm happy with my BF. If they were the "greatest" I would have to think that they would sell more of them.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
In the end, I just want to zip through the countryside on a machine I like more about it than not, and be happy.
As of this moment, NOBODY is making a machine I like better than my Prairie. I don't own a Brute anymore because I'm not a fan of A-Arm rear suspensions, and I'm not a big fan of the looks of the front end on the new ones. But if someone stole my Prairie today, I'd go right down to the Kawie dealer and buy a Brute before they closed. That's because it has 90% of what I'm looking for in an ATV. Other machines have part of that missing 10%, but lack much of the 90% I like.
If I couldn't find a Brute, I'd probably buy either a King Quad or a Can Am 570. The King would not be as much fun to ride, but it would be a pleasure to own (I know this because I've owned 5 Suzuki's before).
The Can Am would be fun to ride, but probably not a pleasure to own. Right off the bat, I'd have to put a Halo locker on it, have the rear gear case gone through, put extra skid plates on it to give some protection to the rear cv boots, and completely wrap the left side in heat shielding to keep my leg from cooking. And after all that was done, I could've bought a Brute and a lot of gasoline for the same price.
Are Brutes perfect? No. But tell me which machine is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah none are perfect, I'm new to the brute, only 6 months and 1100 miles of owning it so far. I do find myself laughing a lot while riding it because the front is so easy to pop up! Will see how I feel in a year or so. My 570 was a lot of fun too. I agree about the king quad just a nice smooth machine, my buddy bought a 19 in white and it is sweet looking. But yeah the zuke needs a vtwin and it would be awesome.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Yeah none are perfect, I'm new to the brute, only 6 months and 1100 miles of owning it so far. I do find myself laughing a lot while riding it because the front is so easy to pop up! Will see how I feel in a year or so. My 570 was a lot of fun too. I agree about the king quad just a nice smooth machine, my buddy bought a 19 in white and it is sweet looking. But yeah the zuke needs a vtwin and it would be awesome.
Agreed.
One of my best friends has a white KQ750 as well. It's a nice ride.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Holy cow! I just swung into my local dealer to grab some oil and was shocked to see the showroom was basically empty. They had a few King Quads and some bullet bikes, but zero Brute's or Teryx's. They said they've sold every one and even have two trucks on backorder. I guess everybody is sick of being told they're gonna die and decided to buy some toys to get outside!😄

Reactions: Swanny52
61 - 80 of 86 Posts