Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fired up my quad today after refreshing the top-end with new rings and headgaskets. What a sweet sound to finally hear it roar back to life after the motor was spread out all over my garage during the past 2 months. Took it for a little spin around the neighborhood and was very relieved that it run good. Now I just need to do the break in, change the oil and let er rip!

It takes a long time to idle back down tho...I didn't see any obvious air leaks, so I guess I need to adjust the idle mix a little (make it richer)??? What else causes the idle speed to hang up for a long while before dropping down to normal idle???

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Make sure the throttle cable isn't getting hung up.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A hanging idle is either mechanical or a lean condition.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Obviously check the cables first and if they are ok what causes that is a lean condition .It could be either a vacuum lea somewhere or the idle circiut is lean.
Did you just do it over or did you build it bigger.If you just did it over then jetting wouldn't change so if the cables are ok I would look for some crud in the carbs that could have gotten in the idle circiut while the carbs were laying around.
If you did build it bigger then it could be a jetting problem.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I have that same condition just a little bit with my new 730 but it only idles high for a couple of seconds before returning to the normal idle. I didn't change my jetting with the build but I did tape up 4 of my airbox cover holes and turn my pilot screw out another 1/2 turn since it was only about 32-degrees when I did the break-in.

Are you sure this couldn't also be caused by a slightly rich condition in the mid-range (needle)? It didn't pop at all at idle or anywhere else. Just had a couple of second delay getting back down to normal idle.

My mods are in my sig (green V).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts