Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Brute Force 650i. I bought from a salvage place with only 98 miles on it. I had a mechanic make the necessary repairs and everything works with the exception of one problem. The shift linkage can't be adjusted properly. If I adjust it so it will shift into reverse it will shift into low but won't engage. If I adjusted so it shifts into and engaging low the opposite happens in reverse. It also has a tendency to jump out of high. I was told that the shift linkage could be bent but it looks straight. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
During the repair the engine was tore apart to install a new crank and piston rings. Could it be anything else. The transmission does bot make any unusual noises. Also when I shift into reverse the light does not go on.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It might be a bent fork or something inside the tranny.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It could be something with the shift rod length of the shifter itself. Maybe the gear block got slightly distorted if it was a wreck. The REV to LOW....works one way but not the other issue is covered on the NYROC site in his adjusting shifter linkage page. He describes that very problem and says this is caused by the rod length of the handle needing adjustment. I don't know if you tried this already, just a thought.

Nyroc's ATV info website

·
Registered
787 Posts
Take the linkage off and shift it into all the gears by the motor (behind the cvt). Will it go into all the gears and stay without jumping out?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Could be the guy putting it back together left on of the shims, spacers, washers what every want to call it out or in the wrong way.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
The Reverse lite/neutral lite play a big role in having your linkage adjusted correctly.
One of my Prairie 650's had this problem, I adjusted the linkage till both lites stayed on Constant, that fixed my problem. Before it would jump out of high range and was hard to get it into reverse and the reverse lite would not be lit.
This Linkage rod is not easy to adjust but can be done.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
It's probably the spring loaded gear selector fork under the shifter assy behind the rear head.

it's VERY easy for one side of that spring mechanism to fall off when assembling. this way you don't get a full throw when putting it in gear with the hand shifter.

you will still have spring tension due to the detent ball by the N and R switches. unless that's missing.

John

·
Registered
379 Posts
linkage

Jakedogg is right.............This way you will know if its the linkage or something wrong in the trans......then go from there.......

I had a similar prob with mine. The linkage is very sensitive to adjust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced the shift lingage and my problem was solved. The old linkage looks fine but it must be bent.

·
Registered
59 Posts
bumping a old thread, im about to pull what hair i have out!!! i for the love of god cant get mine adjusted. the last ride i had a few times where it was hard to change gears. well now that i have tried to adjust it i have opened a can o worms. WTF!! how do you adjust, i cant get it to go into low, or i can adjust it and it wont go into reverse.....

·
Super Moderator
12,647 Posts
bumping a old thread, im about to pull what hair i have out!!! i for the love of god cant get mine adjusted. the last ride i had a few times where it was hard to change gears. well now that i have tried to adjust it i have opened a can o worms. WTF!! how do you adjust, i cant get it to go into low, or i can adjust it and it wont go into reverse.....
What have you got for a machine?
Make sure the motor mount bolts are tight and that the holes through the engine cases aren't worn.
When I adjust the linkage on my 650 Prairie, I just put it in reverse with the key on, adjust the linkage toward neutral so the reverse light goes out, and then adjust it in the opposite direction until the reverse light just barely comes on. That sets mine dead-on with no grinding or jumping out of gear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
09 brute 750,bolts and mounts are good/tight. I think the problem is i have the front jacked up with wheels off finishing a arm bushing install. Im hoping once i have wheels one it will just need to be rolled a lil bit and or turned on to go into low.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts